Hi,
My problem is this. I have just installed Fedora 4 on my dell laptop. It has an intel pro 2200bg wireless card which was not detected at first. I installed the firmware version 2.2 with is compatible with my ipw2200 1.0 kernel driver and the wireless card was detected perfectly. However when I tried to set up WEP encrytion on my wireless network I get this error when activating my wireless card
"
Determining IP information for eth1...ping: icmp open socket: Permission denied
failed.

or

Determining IP information for eth1,cannot determine IP information, cable unpluged, check cable

"
My encryption key is typed in correctly and the card works perfectly with the same encryption under windows xp. If I switch off encryption the connection works perfectly. I am using DHCP to assign my IP address and when I type "cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1" in the teminal I get this output
"
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=10.9.1.1
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=00:13:ce:c5:d3:2b
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
DHCP_HOSTNAME=nuigalway.ie
IPADDR=10.9.180.224
DOMAIN=
ESSID=NUIGALWAY
CHANNEL=11
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto
"

This seems that a connection has been detected and established but why can I not connect with encryption turned on. I need the wireless connection for college. They use DHCP with 128bit WEP encryption so I dont have the luxury of setting a static IP address, even when I did set a static address with WEP on, it still did not connect to my home network. I assume there is some problem with WEP and IP detection.

Would really like to get this to work.
Any help would be great

Daniel