Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recommendation for registration process

recommendation for registration process

put in a check box somewhere and caption it with the phrase

"I will not take posts by other people on the internet as seriously as some of the other fucktards on the internet do. I will be responsible for everything I say, and be responsible for ignoring stuff I don't agree with. And I'll try not to be too much of an asshole."

Re: recommendation for registration process

I think we already agree to something like that... but good thinking YaRness..

Personally, I think a disclaimer to keep things on topic, avoid hot spots that are likely to spike a huge argument/disagreement (aside from the normal kde/gnome debian/redhat vim/emacs arguments) so that we can keep the community together.

yes.

"I will not take posts by other people on the internet as seriously as some of the other fucktards on the internet do. I will be responsible for everything I say, and be responsible for ignoring stuff I don't agree with. And I'll try not to be too much of an asshole."
    I like that. It seems fair enough.

That should be common sense .... but it's not :-[. Conversations about contriversal things are good, even outside the Linux community (whithin our sub-community of LJR), but it should be taken ans conversation and discussion and not as personal attacks.

i should write a longer version of that. there are too many whiny bitches here that don't have the sense to unplug, or just leave, because they can't handle an open forum where everyone doesn't play nice or take their problems seriously.

when you start looking into more profound forms of moderation, find something that let's people do it themselves, so the rest of us who have a better grip on reality don't need to be burdended with moderation done by mom-like figures.

i should write a longer version of that. there are too many whiny bitches here that don't have the sense to unplug, or just leave, because they can't handle an open forum where everyone doesn't play nice or take their problems seriously.

when you start looking into more profound forms of moderation, find something that let's people do it themselves, so the rest of us who have a better grip on reality don't need to be burdended with moderation done by mom-like figures.
    I *could* take offence to that, but I choose not too (;

Honestly, it's only a temporary solution, as peoples attitudes were just a bit too hot right now. Give it a week or so, and we will lift the sanction on such topics, as long as we keep playing nicely.

yeah right, temporary only until the next flame up.

take offense all you want. locking threads is just being a mom. it's treating posters like children (which i realize some people here really are children, but it's their parents' responsibility and cleaning up messes. people should just be allowed to take care of themselves; anyone dull enough to take offense from some dildo board troll is going to get insulted/pissed off/offended/whatever no matter what you do.

the only thing i truly like about slashdot's moderation is that you have complete freedom of choice on how you want it done. i'd like to see something like that here (the choice part, i could give a shit less about moderating anything that's short of outright violence or illegalness).

yeah right, temporary only until the next flame up.

take offense all you want. locking threads is just being a mom. it's treating posters like children (which i realize some people here really are children, but it's their parents' responsibility and cleaning up messes. people should just be allowed to take care of themselves; anyone dull enough to take offense from some dildo board troll is going to get insulted/pissed off/offended/whatever no matter what you do.

the only thing i truly like about slashdot's moderation is that you have complete freedom of choice on how you want it done. i'd like to see something like that here (the choice part, i could give a shit less about moderating anything that's short of outright violence or illegalness).
    *shrug* submit a patch for yabb.

This is our current solution. LIke it or leave it. What good is a linux help board when we are all too busy ranting and raving about political/religious issues to help those who need it?