Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: recommendation for registration process

Re: recommendation for registration process

How about a soap box category? Those are often very entertaining on other messageboards and people know what to expect if they get involved there.
    Usually called "Rants and Raves" and I usually stay away from them because they are full of assholes who want to do nothing but pick fights and insult.

i'm just saying no matter how you dress it up, you'll always get some sissy crying to mommy (aka moderators) about how the bad fellow poster hurt his widdle feelings.
    Um, this isn't to protect *MY* feelings, or that of any moderator. Frankly I could give a shit.

But this is an effort to get this community refocused on what brought us here to begin with. If you wish to have such conversations, there is PM's and other boards you can have. I see nothing wrong with keeping conversations focused on the topic. Yes I do know that there is a 'offtopic' forum, and perhaps we should just mark that one un-moderated. use at your own risk.

Um, this isn't to protect *MY* feelings, or that of any moderator.
    wasn't talkin about you guys, was talking about any poster X that can't handle the internet world.

wasn't talkin about you guys, was talking about any poster X that can't handle the internet world.
    If he can't handle it, fuck him. That's the problem, being concerned about the feelings of someone whose emotional level is so low that they get upset if someone else says "boo" to him isn't worth the time. Those types are not an asset to the community- they're one of the reasons so many people are leaving LNO, among other things.

If he can't handle it, fuck him. That's the problem, being concerned about the feelings of someone whose emotional level is so low that they get upset if someone else says "boo" to him isn't worth the time. Those types are not an asset to the community- they're one of the reasons so many people are leaving LNO, among other things.
    bingo, right on the money. unless the offender is breaking a law ("i'm going to hunt you down and kill you" or something), fuck'em.

i think an extra one-time disclaimer specifically for the off-topic thingies would be a good butt-cover though. (obviously bullshit of any kind shouldn't fly at all in the on-topic forums).

I agree 100%! We're coming to the same point, just from different directions. Basically, this is a really good, tight-kint group of people. I've never seen a more co-operative bunch of folks in my life. There's noone here I don't like, and respect. I think that's one of the problems that people don't understand. In a close group like this, it often escapes you that if you post something offensive, it's there for everyone to read, and effectivly, you may be holding someone up to public ridicule- at least from their point of view. I don't think that someone who hasn't been here for a while understands that they can't really be as crtical towards another member as someone who HAS been here a long time, and learned that a certian member might take personal offense at something that's said in jest. I don't think something like that could be controlled- there you would just hope that the maturity of the offended person would allow them to take it in stride.

I do think the moderators are trying to make this a good place, and I hold nothing against them, but I don't think this situation was handled properly. I'm not against that particular thread getting locked, but for any other controversial thread to automatically get locked just isn't right. Other people have already been talking about how it's too authoritative, so I'm going to skip that reason. The other reason is that I think the situation would have been more easily forgotten if it was ignored. It's like we're losing a freedom over it, and people are going to get all the more fired up. I've seen plenty of flamewars like this before. Usually they reach their climax, everyone gets things out of their system, and then they settle back down for a few months. Even people who undyingly hate each other usually just have a fight and then ignore each other for a while. It's the cycle of anger. And who knows what interfering with that cycle could cause. Like I said before, this is a very close community and because of that, there is going to be some bickering. If you don't want bickering, then close off-topic forums and get rid of the closeness. It's really the only way.

*shrug* I only locked the few that existed already and had gotten out of hand or were nearing that point. Nobody really has started up any new ones, so I havn't done anything.

Perhaps I'll just sit back and wait for somebody to inform me of something getting out of hand, as I don't normally venture into the playground or the off-topic areas.