Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: recommendation for registration process

Re: recommendation for registration process

s'not my board, not my decision.
    What good is a linux help board when we are all too busy ranting and raving about political/religious issues to help those who need it?
    if that's how you REALLY REALLY feel then get rid of the off-topic areas.

imo, getting rid of off-topic kills the community feel to a place. but it's a high risk in terms of being open to pissing people off. i'm just trying to get y'all thinking about how you want to handle it.

s'not my board, not my decision.
    if that's how you REALLY REALLY feel then get rid of the off-topic areas.

imo, getting rid of off-topic kills the community feel to a place. but it's a high risk in terms of being open to pissing people off. i'm just trying to get y'all thinking about how you want to handle it.
    I've already expressed my opionions about the off-topic sections. I only go there to moderate mostly. Same with playground.

Maybe we can just teach those who get hot-headed to stay out of such forums, but until then.....

I appreciate your beef with the current solution, and I/we are open to suggestions....

I'm not so sure I agree with banning particular topics. That smacks of censorship to me. A moderator certainly has the right to close any thread they feel is out of hand, as they should do. But to create a blanket ban on such broad topics as "politics" or "religion" is a little heavy handed.

Having said that, it does seem that there have been tensions between members that have been flaring up lately. And this isn't just one or two isolated incidences. This seems to be a wider phenomenon affecting nearly everyone. What's up?

Just my 2Ę.

Good Guru

I agree with the fact that banning particular topic or subtopic is a little too much. Every thing should be case by case basic. When people kind of getting out of hand, then lock it by all means.

That's not to say that I support the free styple posting with no moderation and leave the people to themselves to control is also lame excuse and out of reality. We all knows that no one place can do that. Even the slashdot had to do moderation on many topics. If you submitted one topic on slashdot, good luck getting ON the page. That's not happening.

Also if you think there are too many whiny bitches here, bite the bullet and ignore it. If you come here and bitching about it, you are also a whiny bitch anyway...... So what's the difference with the rest of the whiny bitches??

How about a soap box category? Those are often very entertaining on other messageboards and people know what to expect if they get involved there.

How about a soap box category? Those are often very entertaining on other messageboards and people know what to expect if they get involved there.
    I normally don't say too much about what goes on in the forums- if there's a pissing contest starting, I just move on, but I do think that a "soapbox" category is an excellent idea, particularly if you post a disclaimer to the effect "This is a SOAPBOX. What you say here is your opinion, but you must be prepared to be flamed. If you make a statement that offends someone else, they are free to respond in a manner they feel is appropriate. IF YOU'RE NOT READY TO BE FLAMED, DON"T POST. IF YOU POST, AND YOU'RE FLAMED, REMEMBER, YOU ASKED FOR IT!" Maybe add something about LJR not being responsible for members opinions, and stressing that the member has to take responsibility for any offensive statements they make. I mean, looking at it objectively, how much of a problem could this be? Even if someone got foam-at-the-mouth angry, it's not like he guy he's angry at is sitting on the next barstool. Once a few hot-heads get blasted, I think the whole community would be better off.

quite frankly you can name it the "Come here to tell people what fucking shitheads you think they are" forum and some dumbass will still come out and say "WAAH they hurt my feelings, you guys suck, i'm going to go jump off a bridge and put 'EAT SHIT LJR' on my tombstone and i hope all you fuckers burn in hell with hitler."

maybe a one-time disclaimer page that specifically pops up only when you go to off-topic forums might be a good idea. something that clearly states anything short of a felony will be left unmoderated and you are posting here at your own risk (and optionally add a nice big fuckoff to anyone who can't handle it, but only because i'm still feeling cynical this morning ).

quite frankly you can name it the "Come here to tell people what fucking shitheads you think they are" forum and some dumbass will still come out and say "WAAH they hurt my feelings, you guys suck, i'm going to go jump off a bridge and put 'EAT SHIT LJR' on my tombstone and i hope all you fuckers burn in hell with hitler."

maybe a one-time disclaimer page that specifically pops up only when you go to off-topic forums might be a good idea. something that clearly states anything short of a felony will be left unmoderated and you are posting here at your own risk (and optionally add a nice big fuckoff to anyone who can't handle it, but only because i'm still feeling cynical this morning ).
    You're right, but do you really care if some asshole who can't take what he dishes out gets offended? I mean, really those are the people who cause problems- once they get pissed and leave, the whole forum is better off. I don't have any problem with telling some needle-dick to fuck off- it HAS gotten me in a few fights, but I never had to contend with them again.

i'm just saying no matter how you dress it up, you'll always get some sissy crying to mommy (aka moderators) about how the bad fellow poster hurt his widdle feelings.

Yea, you're right. The only reason I suggested what I did was, if it was made clear to the crybabys that they had no resort, what they say was THEIR responsibility, the moderaters could just tell 'em "Tough shit- you read the disclaimer."