Thread: recent post topics on front page not a good idea?

recent post topics on front page not a good idea?

just wondering i post a thread with a subject like "i like boobies!", i would guess it's not likely to be moderated, but then you've got "i like boobies" on your front page, which would drive potential members away mumbling "stupid teenage socially inept linux users, i'm going back to microsoft." (or something like that, you get the point).

Mentor

Re: recent post topics on front page not a good id

i'd like to think that the people around here wont post something like that.

cloverm could put the word boobie in the censored list so that the person "just stopping by" wont see it.

but then again if someone wont use this site or linux because they see the word bobbies , i kind of think i would'nt really want them here anyway ;D

But it's true... I do like boobies :P

i'd like to think that the people around here wont post something like that.
    yeah and i'd like to think my fiancee will loosen up and let me pick up teenage girls as sex pets, or i'll win the lottery, or get super powers.

maybe the front page list should filter for on-topic posts only.

yeah and i'd like to think my fiancee will loosen up and let me pick up teenage girls as sex pets, or i'll win the lottery, or get super powers.

maybe the front page list should filter for on-topic posts only.
    But doesn't that take away some of our freedom as a net community? I mean other boards have lots of offtopic things if there is a friendship base there. I think it just proves that we (for the most part) get along and have fun as well as help others with Linux related things.

Kind Mastermind

I think that yarness has a point. Unfortunately, I think that the point is moot. Since I did not automatically log in during February, I noticed that "bad" words were censored.

If boobies or peepees or whatever are not automatically filtered, then I guess it would be wise to filter all possibly offensive words. Here is my question: where do we draw the line at? This is a multi-lingual group here. Some English words might be ok, but then be offensive in French or German or Danske or whatever. Our Australian compatriots might find the term Sheila offensive, or not. How do we know?

Obviously, we need to be a self-policing lot, or we will fall into the trap of hyper-political correctness. That would suck, or stink, or bite, or whatever.

Just my two pence.

Cheers

it's not just a bad words thing on the front page (kinda why i picked boobies, because i don't consider it a curse word), but stuff like "i like to kill babies" or "let's nuke microsoft" or "XMember quit being such a tool!" or whatever.

Does anyone here really care if Joe IT Tech Boy comes here and is offended and decides not to use GNU/Linux? I don't particularily care. It just means it's another guy that will ask things like:

- "LI but no LO"
    - "KDE problem!!!!!!~~~~ Helpzzzzzzz!!!!!"
    - "How much swap?"

etc. We all know them, have all answered them, but still, Joe IT Tech Boy wouldn't search the boards. I think people who were a suit already have something against, Linux. People I do want here are the students that will become SysAdmins, I want the current hippie-looking sysadmins that don't care if we talk about boobs, etc.

I for one am not advocating GNU/Linux anymore, because it means I become the main help ressource for the people I convert. And I'm tired of that. These days here's my typical advocating:
    Random person: "Windows crashed again and corrupted my files!!"
    Vince: "Oh. I don't know, I don't use Windows"
    Random person: "What do you use"
    Vince: "GNU/Linux and the BSD's."
    Random person: "Yeah Lunix, I should try that."
    Vince: "*shrug* Try it if you want."
    Random person: "Would you help me?"
    Vince: "No."
    Random person: "Why not?"
    Vince: "Every answer lies in either the man pages, the info pages or on the web, and I don't like to answer newbie questions anymore, it just annoys me nowadays."
    Random person: "Pfff... I won't use it then."
    Vince: "Fine, I don't particularily care"
    Random person: "Windows is much better, it's easier"
    Vince: "Yes it is."
    Random person: "Nobody uses Linux anyway! No software available!"
    Vince: "Nope. We're ages behind Windows. Keep it and leave me the fsck alone"
    Random person: "If every Linux user is like you, it's no wonder no one uses it"
    Vince: "It's more a problem with people not being able to read actually. You know, click-double-click-drag-and-drop generation?"

I just notice the fact that it makes the loading of the front page pause for a couple seconds, which is very annoying...