Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving site - scheduled downtime

Mentor

Moving site - scheduled downtime

I decided to move LJR back to phpwebhosting. Since the Pinehead server went down on Monday I cannot access the site through FTP or SSH and I haven't been able to check my email. I cannot get ahold of anyone to get it fixed.

Since I cannot FTP to the site, I can't download anything. I have a cronjob running that automatically uploads a backup of the site to my box every Sunday morning. Therefore I will put the board in maintenace mode (you won't be able to post, just browse) late Saturday night, then move the files and set up the site on phpwebhosting.
    After that I will initiate the domain transfer that will take a day or two. In the meantime, I think the site will be accesable through a domain name like linuxjunior.phpwebhosting.com or something. I will post it as soon as I know what it is.
    I apologize for any inconvenience the move will cause, but I think you all agree that it is absolutely necessary.

P.S. I could make a backup any time using the Cobalt server's backup feature which gives me a .raq file. Does anyone know how to extract the files from it, just in case my cronjob doesn't work?

Re: Moving site - scheduled downtime

Cloverm I think that is a good move. How much do phphosting charge a month? Maybe when I get some money I might be able to pay for a month of hosting.

Mentor

Cloverm I think that is a good move. *How much do phphosting charge a month? *Maybe when I get some money I might be able to pay for a month of hosting.
    $9.95 / month ...

That's pretty cheap... One more question.. How much space those the whole thing take?

Cloverm, will you accept paypal for donations as you did the last time, if so please post the adresse.

Mentor

Cloverm, will you accept paypal for donations as you did the last time, if so please post the adresse.
    It's paypal@linuxjunior.org, but wait until after the move, I don't have access to my email right now. Also keep in mind that I'm really not soliciting for donations, but if you really insist ... ;D

thanks cloverm!

cloverm thanks for all you do...

Kind Mastermind

Well, this triple sucks. *First of all, the main power grid to my base is being repaired, so we have limited power. *My ISP changed providers (the nco club has a deal with a local ISP, they just changed contractors), and now my favorite website is going down for a little while. *This is a bad weekend for me. *I'm going to go poute now. * :'(

But, like gnomero and pbharris said...thanks cloverm. You have provided us with a great community and a great resource. Keep it up. It is greatly appreciated. I am glad to see that you are changing hosts. It's too bad that pinehead.com hasn't been able to keep up.

I don't see any problem with registered members helping out with the bills; just think of all the free advice we've gotten over the past year. I have a feeling that if we had to pay for the information, it'd be substantially more than $9.95.
    Count me in. ;D ;D ;D