Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Bin Laden Comes Clean - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bin Laden Comes Clean

Re: Bin Laden Comes Clean

The last time the northern allience ruled Afghanistan (92-94) they didnīt do to well. They started to fight eachother which lead to chaos. Lets hope they have learned their lesson.

I donīt get the impression that they are as bad as the Taleban though, they seem to want *to have peace. *Atleast I hope so, the future will tell I guess.

Mentor

The Northern Alliance no doubt has a dark past. They are pretty much just a bunch of bandits and warlords. But they are certainly helping the US right now in the war in Afghanistan. Just imagine, how long this war could be going on with how many US casualties if it wasn't for them. They are doing the "dirty work" that otherwise would have to be done by US troops.
    They are committing attrocities against Taliban fighters right now, but that doesn't bother me a bit. The less Taliban, the better. So far there are no reports on attrocities against civilians. I really hope there won't be any.
    They are also asking the UN to help with a broad-based goverment, they are not trying to take power.
    I was so glad to see people celebrating in Kabul after the Taliban left. I certainly hope there will be peace in Afghanistan soon.

The last time the northern allience ruled Afghanistan (92-94) they didnīt do to well. They started to fight eachother which lead to chaos. Lets hope they have learned their lesson.

I donīt get the impression that they are as bad as the Taleban though, they seem to want to have peace. Atleast I hope so, the future will tell I guess.
    I'm just passing what I heard from scholarly debates. IMHO we have a bit of a biased against the Talaban because of their protecting Bin Laden. I'm not saying thats good or bad, but it does reflect on our view of the Northern Allience being the lesser of two evils.

The Taliban support bin Laden and their spiritual leader (Mullah Mohammed Omar) continues to threaten America. *That makes them infinitely worse than the Northern Alliance and the other anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan.

Many Western diplomats point out that after helping the Mujahedin defeat the Soviets, the West abandoned the Afghanis. *That was dumb and probably contributed to the civil war that allowed the extremist Taliban to take power.

Bottom line: *The world is very unsafe so long as bin Laden, his al Qaeda, and their supporters (e.g., the Taliban) walk the face of the earth. *The tribal infighting in Afghanistan -- while undesirable -- is a totally different threat than al Qaeda and the Taliban.

An excerpt from ABC News that contrasts the Northern Alliance to the Taliban (regarding the freeing of the aid workers):
    ===================
    But then the bombing started, and they could hear fighting outside the prison. When the doors opened this time, they were confronted not by the Taliban, but friendly Northern Alliance troops and jubilant locals.

When the fighting stopped, the aid workers were treated like heroes.

"People were coming out of their houses, shaking our hands, hugging us," Taubmann said.

Mullah Omar is on the run. Brave little would-be martyr, isn't he? Maybe he and Osama should hop in a two-seater airplane and fly themselves into the side of Mount Everest. While I agree that the war on terrorism is far from over, I think the latest developments are showing the true colours of the Taliban and al Qaeda leadership (Hint: Same colour as the smiley emoticons).

Excerpt from MSNBC News, Sunday, November 18:
    Refugees fleeing Kunduz over the weekend told of terror at the hands of Taliban troops and bin Laden loyalists. One described a doctor shot and killed for not treating a wounded Taliban soldier fast enough; others said eight teen-age boys were killed for laughing at Taliban troops.
    Witnesses also said at least 100 Taliban soldiers were shot, apparently by gunmen from their own side, as they approached alliance lines in an attempt to surrender.
    These same Taliban are trying to negotiate surrender on the condition that the foreign invaders amongst them are not harmed. I never thought I'd say this, but I say annihilate the Taliban and al Qaeda...they deserve no mercy nor clemency.

History has proven that in any war, there is no substitute for UNCONDITIONAL surrender. None.