Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Walker's Punishment

Re: John Walker's Punishment

you dont need to be a member of the militray to be tried for treason.
    i dont think, you just need 3 witnesses

treason DOES carry the death penalty
    According to CNN, you need two witnesses or a confession in open court. And, you're right, you don't need to be military to be charged with treason.

I still think he's more guilty of stupidity than anything else. But, I also think he's going to get some time behind bars, even if he does cooperate.

Kind Mastermind

you dont need to be a member of the militray to be tried for treason.
    i dont think, you just need 3 witnesses

treason DOES carry the death penalty
    Yes, I know that treason carry's the death penalty. I also know that you don't need to be in the military to be charged with treason. What I meant was that the government won't likely press for the death penalty, since he wasn't originally in the military and then defected. It would be very difficult to give him the death penalty.

Generally speaking, he was a low level grunt (cannon fodder, or if you prefer, canon fodder) and had no undue influence over the taliban leadership. It would be like charging a line infantryman from WW2 Germany with genocide, even though he merely fought in the hedgerows and forests. You couldn't execute him. Most constitutional lawyers would agree (or at least the ones on CNN, anyway), it is too far a stretch of the treason and sedition act. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

As for murder and helping an enemy of the state, send him to Leavenworth for a few years. That will teach him.

Intent is also something that will need to be proved. He did not join the taliban because he hated the US. He joined because of his religious zeal. He thought that his reading of the Koran and it's intent made it obligitory to fight with the taliban. He wanted to get rid of all opposers of strict Islam in Afghanistan. I am certain that at first, he didn't know that the taliban and al Quada opposed the US and wanted us to go down in flames. But, when you have been brain-washed by a cult-like group, you will support them, even unto death. So as for his acceptance of the devastation that the al Quada and it's agents pushed upon the world, it could be argued that he was brain washed.

Regardless of how you feel about him, remember this, we do not have all of the facts in this case. The US government doesn't have all of the facts in this case. So, everything is mere speculation. I am for justice. But it must truly be just and even handed, not ruled by emotion.

Well said again, Stryder.

Stryder, you've thought this thing out well! I agree!

Kind Mastermind

Stryder, you've thought this thing out well! I agree!
    I have to add a few things:

1. Both John Walker and I were deeply affected by the Autobiography of Malcolm X. Only, I didn't commit to Islam. My path lay elsewhere (I am a Christian).

2. I have a problem with the death penalty. I am finding it more and more senseless. So, I would not want see it used, unless in extreme circumstances. I feel that Hilter would have deserved it. Bin Laden, sure. There are probably a few others, too. But, by and large, executing someone doesn't make a lot of sense.

Now, I fully understand why people would like to see him killed. He is an easy peg to hang our grief-filled hats upon. If our courts decide that he needs to die, so be it. I will support that decision. I am honor bound to support it, but not necessarily to agree with it. I believe that everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. Whether he dies or not is the providence of a greater power than me. I am not his judge, his jury, nor will I be his executioner. I just hope that he finds his peace with his creator before he is forced to meet Him.

they should shave his beard!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Kind Mastermind

they should shave his beard!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHA
    Here, here...I second that!

Maybe he saw an early preview of "ALI" and it went to his head... ;D

Kind Mastermind

Maybe he saw an early preview of "ALI" and it went to his head... ;D
    Darn, another movie I'll have to wait an eternity to see. Sigh...

2. *I have a problem with the death penalty. *
    I am against capital punishment too because it smacks of pure revenge and is not a deterrent. And, as we can too readily see in the Middle East, revenge begets more revenge. I have to admit, though, that guys like Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, bin Laden, et al test my resolve.