Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

John Walker's Punishment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Walker's Punishment

John Walker's Punishment

Perhaps John should be forced to have a sex change operation and then parachuted back into whatever Taliban or al Qaida pockets remain -- without a burqa, of course.

Mentor

Re: John Walker's Punishment

Treason , bacause it come with the death penalty

a military tribunal!!

Who's this?

Who's this?
    He is the 20-year old American who fought for the Taliban - al Qaida and was captured with his hooligan friends.

Kind Mastermind

Hmmm...let's see here:

1. Sex change operation, while humorous, is pretty nasty. You have to make the punishment fit the crime. No man deserves that kind of punishment (except for Bin Bootyhead and Saddam Insane).

2. Treason might have been valid, if he had joined after the campaign started. He was taliban before Sept 11. So, not possible. As for the death penalty, it is unconstitutional in his case anyway, since he wasn't a member of the military who went over to the enemy. As an aside, the military is political, so it would have been more likely to give a sentence of 25 to life.

3. He also had no influence over taliban leadership and was pretty much a low level grunt. Not worth the time or effort to inject his sorry arse.

4. Now, he could get into big trouble for his participation in the prison uprising that killed the CIA agent. Now, if you could prove that he intended to kill someone, then you could concievably give him the death penalty. Of course, the US gov't won't try his case in a military court (that is almost a guarentee. It is still possible, though). They will likely try him in a federal court. Since this is still a political case, it will be handled in a backroom-style manner. Which means that this kid may or may not get into trouble. It will depend on the attitude of the people, the world, and the US Congress.

Just my two cents of course. I am not a lawyer, so my thoughts could be way off.

Well said Stryder. Actually, I was trying to be funny (guess I shouldn't give up my day job).

Seriously, though, I think he deserves derision because he joined a regime that is so repressive, it is comparable to Naziism. But I guess that, in and of itself, is not a crime. Just like stupidity, in and of itself, is not a crime.

Sure glad I'm not his parents. What would you do with a kid like that?

Kind Mastermind

Well said Stryder. *Actually, I was trying to be funny (guess I shouldn't give up my day job). *

Seriously, though, I think he deserves derision because he joined a regime that is so repressive, it is comparable to Naziism. *But I guess that, in and of itself, is not a crime. *Just like stupidity, in and of itself, is not a crime.

Sure glad I'm not his parents. *What would you do with a kid like that?
    Don't worry, Coral Sea, I understood the joke. Humor, amazingly, isn't lost on me (most of the time). I just thought the it would be funnier happening to someone less funny, like Hussein or Bin Laden.

I am no fan of a man (or boy, in this case) who would join a foreign army that was supporting the unethical and unfair treatment of men, women, and children. I think that, since he took part in the uprising, he deserves a jail sentence of several years, possibly for life.

Hopefully, his case won't tear our country apart. It has been through way more than it deserves, this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I think we are stronger than that, but I have seen little things take on greater proportions before. You never know.

Kind Mastermind

Who's this?
    I think your deity status is sliding fast...no omniscience?!

A walking tour of lower Manhatten. ' Nuf said

Mentor

2. Treason might have been valid, if he had joined after the campaign started. He was taliban before Sept 11. So, not possible. As for the death penalty, it is unconstitutional in his case anyway, since he wasn't a member of the military who went over to the enemy. As an aside, the military is political, so it would have been more likely to give a sentence of 25 to life.

you dont need to be a member of the militray to be tried for treason.
    i dont think, you just need 3 witnesses

treason DOES carry the death penalty

this is from brittan article

Ananova : <http://www.ananova.com/images/blank.gif>

<http://www.ananova.com/images/blank.gif>
    Taliban Britons could be charged with treason

Britons who go to fight for the Taliban could face prosecution for treason, the Government has warned.

Islamic militant group Al-Muhajiroun claims several British Muslims have already died as martyrs after volunteering to fight with the Taliban.

But in the House of Lords, Home Office minister Lord Rooker, said those who took up arms against their own country laid themselves open to a possible charge under the Treason Act of 1351.

He said: "The fact of the matter is that treason is like an elephant: on the doorstep you recognise it when you see it.

"And, if you take up arms against your own country, your own state, whether in that state or abroad against that state's agents, that's an offence under the 1351 Act."

The Prime Minister's official spokesman confirmed the law on treason "can cover circumstances when a person joins enemies of the UK in hostilities against this country or UK allies".

Though once a capital offence, the maximum penalty for treason is now life imprisonment.

Mr Blair's spokesman stressed that British Muslims who fought for the Taliban could face prosecution for a range of offences, from membership of a proscribed organisation to murder and manslaughter.

Those who sought to recruit fighters in the UK for training and military action overseas could be charged under the Terrorism Act 2000.

But he said that each case would be dealt with on its merits by the prosecuting authorities as it arose, and that as yet the Government had no proof of any significant British involvement with the Taliban.

THIS IS THE US LAW
    Sec. 2381. - Treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States

i got it from this site http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2381.html