Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows or Linux?

Windows or Linux?

Currently, I've install LINUX to all of my x86 computers and NetBSD on all of my PPC/68k computers. However, I still have one computer with Winbloze Me. I originally kept that on there for my games (Operation Flashpoint, Rainbow 6, FS2k, CFS, etc...) Since my nice 32MB video card burst into flames, I'm stuck with this old pathetic 8MB for that computer.

However, I was thinking that I should install Linux to that machine too and completely ditch Winbloze. What do you think I should do? I have a 40GB hard disk, possibily spilt it 50/50? Or should I just give the whole disk to Linux? Is there any emulators/games that are as good as, if not better then Operation Flashpoint, Rainbow 6, FS2K, CFS, etc...)

Tell me what you think,

Bobby

Kind Mastermind

Re: Windows or Linux?

Can any of your games be run under wine? Are you willing to run wine? It would seem that a nice little 8 gig partition for windows/games would be more than sufficient, maybe less. The rest could be used for Linux.

I never ran Wine....I'll be willing to run it.....as long as my computer doesn't explode from it.

I guess 8GB would be a fair size....

Bobby

if this is just a gaming machine you might as well just have only winders on that machine. You already have other linux and BSD computers anyways. If you have xp I'd load that on the gaming machine. It may be the latest crap out of ms but at least its stable and a lot better for gaming then any win9x. I've tried wine with everything i have and the only thing that worked reliably and worked properly was winamp. So if you want your games to work right windows is probably your best bet.

Kind Mastermind

if this is just a gaming machine you might as well just have only winders on that machine. You already have other linux and BSD computers anyways. If you have xp I'd load that on the gaming machine. It may be the latest crap out of ms but at least its stable and a lot better for gaming then any win9x. I've tried wine with everything i have and the only thing that worked reliably and worked properly was winamp. So if you want your games to work right windows is probably your best bet.
    40 gigs for a gaming/windows machine seems a bit steep. Especially since he doesn't have all that many games. But, ultimately, it is up to him. Is there a distro that you haven't tried yet that could go on the rest of your hdd? How about x86 Darwin? Or, Slackware !

I agree with Agar. You already have several Linux and BSD machines. Why another? If you want to try another distro, that's logical. Otherwise, I don't see a reason not to install Windows (other than it's evil, but you can't do anything about that). If you really want to split it up, install BeOS or something out of the norm. I remember seeing an OS that looked interesting. It was called AtheOS or something like that. I'd slap that on there. And if you do try that out, tell me a little about it. I'm thinking about trying it myself.

Mentor

8) Dual boot 8)

Why limit your self on what you can do when you can have both??

i dual boot Win98 and Linux proudly!!!

GNU/Linux. I don't know what's the question, but I'm sure it's the right answer!

GNU/Linux. I don't know what's the question, but I'm sure it's the right answer!
    This man knows of what he speaks.

This man knows of what he speaks.
    Well, this is like Jeopardy. They are sure of what the answer his, but they never know the question