Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

stupid math wording.

Thread: stupid math wording.

stupid math wording.

Argh, my math textbook is being stupid. It doesn't understand the meaning of the words "expand" and "compress".

Would you agree that an "expansion by a factor of 2" is the same thing as a "compression by a factor of 1/2"??

I mean, if you get 1/2 as compressed, that's the same as twice as big, right?

Apparently not according to my math textbook. And this isn't a misprint either, the book consistently uses the words "expansion" and "compression" when something is expanding or compressing, but gives the factor as an expansion factor.

It's really annoying because I have to replace "compress" with "expand" every time I see it, because that's what they really mean.

Re: stupid math wording.

Ouch. I have a similar problem. My discrete teacher is russian and I can't understand her at all. My CS2 TA is japanese and he says compare instead of compile and 'prepare is true as other, yes?' .... but I dunno what that one means yet. Must be 1337 speech.

A book that doesn't understand... Wow! Lucky guy! If you get a living inflatable doll, tell me where you live ;D

A book that doesn't understand... Wow! Lucky guy! If you get a living inflatable doll, tell me where you live ;D
    I hope it doesn't hang itself. That is, unless you want to become a mortician (sp). ;D

Alright smartass, the authors of the book don't understand.

My point is that if something gets half as small, that's the same as twice as large! But the authors of my textbook seem to think that "twice as small" and "twice as big" are the same thing! (using the "twice as big" meaning).

In non-linear maths "twice as large" could be equal to "twice as small"

But this isn't non-linear maths. This is graphing polynomials!

Good Guru

Does your instructor get it though?

My highschool calc teacher was an idiot. I probably forgot things permanently because of her. She bred stupidity. I spent more time (with about 5 or 6 othere) correcting all of her mistakes and flat out misperceptions of how to do mathematical formulae. Its bad when the order of operations -- a basic building block of a mathematician, is ignored to make th eprblem easier. As I quite enjoyed proving -- also made you answer wrong

I can forgive bad writing because I suck at it too (christ, look at my posts), but someone in person should have their stuff together.

Does your instructor get it though?
    He seems to. He doesn't say that it's wrong, anyway.

I think the real word they are trying to use is "stretch", except that if the stretch makes it bigger, they say "expand", and if the stretch makes it smaller they just say "contract". The end result is something like "expansion by a factor of 4" / "compression by a factor of 1/4", which in my opinion is the same thing. According to the book, though, the former would be 8 times larger than the latter.

My highschool calc teacher was an idiot.
    Mine's not so much of an idiot, but he's a physics teacher and he's never taught calc before. He makes the occaisional mistake, but on the whole I'd say he's smarter than at least half the class

I can forgive bad writing because I suck at it too (christ, look at my posts), but someone in person should have their stuff together.
    Well, I can't forgive bad writing. Learn to write, fools! ;D