Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Non-Vi(m) Users Club

Re:Non-Vi(m) Users Club

[quote author=MZGuy link=board=17;threadid=2961;start=90#43509 date=1027883833]
    I do use windows, it's my server that uses FBSD.
    I know the unix commands I need, but I think pico is a good enough editor for me, so I don't see the point in learning vi...
    [/quote]

You should learn how to use the basic vi commands because vi is the one editor that will appear in every distribution of Linux and Unix, regardless of whether or not you install it in the beginning. If you're stuck without the packages that you need to install your desired editor, and you need to edit a file, vi can be a lifesaver.

I personally prefer vim, but vi works when I need it to.

[quote author=Frith link=board=17;threadid=2961;start=90#43528 date=1027892553]
    I personally prefer vim, but vi works when I need it to.
    [/quote]

I agree, I always do something like this on every Linux/Unix install I do ...

Code:
    rm /usr/bin/vi && ln -s /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vi

[quote author=cga link=board=17;threadid=2961;start=90#43525 date=1027889490]
    My opinion is to use whatever editor you are most comfortable and happy with. If you can get your work done, why worry about something else? That's why we have so many editors to choose from.
    [/quote]

Exactly. And because we have so many editors to choose from, we can have wonderful text editor flamewars. They're fun as long as no one *seriously* starts thinking that people who don't use his/her/it's text editor of choice are morons.

Because we know that people who don't use vim are morons. :P

[quote author=Frith link=board=17;threadid=2961;start=90#43528 date=1027892553]
    You should learn how to use the basic vi commands because vi is the one editor that will appear in every distribution of Linux and Unix, regardless of whether or not you install it in the beginning. If you're stuck without the packages that you need to install your desired editor, and you need to edit a file, vi can be a lifesaver.
    [/quote]

I'll second that. Sure, use any editor you want for doing your normal work, but learn at least how to edit and save a file with vi. In a case of emergency, vi may be the only editor available.

Actually I started using vim after I had completely messed up my system and I wasn't able to mount the /usr partition and I needed to edit some config files to make things working again. I had been a die-hard joe fan and had never bothered to learn any vim or vi commands. When I had messed up my system, I realized wasn't able to use joe or any other editor than vim. I was forced to learn it if I wished to edit the config files and save my system. Well, I learned it, made my system working again, and realized how excellent vim was.

So the lesson is: use any editor you like, but learn the basic commands for editing and saving files with vi. You may need that knowledge some day.

Associate

Yes, there have been times when I would have needed to know at least how to save/quit vi, so you're right there.
    Guess I'll have to read some of the man pages sometime

[quote author=MZGuy link=board=17;threadid=2961;start=90#43670 date=1027972342]
    Yes, there have been times when I would have needed to know at least how to save/quit vi, so you're right there.
    Guess I'll have to read some of the man pages sometime
    [/quote]

just execute the 'vimtutor' command
    only takes a couple of minutes and u'll learn the basics of vim

[quote author=NGene link=board=17;threadid=2961;start=90#43602 date=1027927923]

Because we know that people who don't use vim are morons. :P
    [/quote]

[slobber, drool]
    Me like mcedit, mcedit is my friend it make happy me and work good....
    [/slobber, drool]