Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Geeks......

Real Geeks......

Has 2 or more computers
    Refers to computers as 'boxes' or 'machines'
    Advanced skills in at least 2 different operating systems
    Never spends money for apps (at least almost never)
    Knows what "apps" mean
    Knows that whatever they say you cant do, you really can
    Knows at least one language (prog) by age 20
    Has some kind of certification between 18-20 and could careless about getting a real job
    Run their PC with no case, or never have the cover on their case because they lost the screws
    Will find themselves unable to sleep when their mind attempts to tackle that yet unresolved technical/programming issue
    Has a home network
    Thinks that all the world's problems can be solved with the right code
    Would prefer to watch movies they downloaded rather than renting them from Blockbuster
    Rips their cd's to mp3s so they can listen to them on their computer rather than use a stereo [Dave]
    Knows what "rip" means
    Treats their relationships like complex algorithms
    Remember the glory days of DOS and when you had to make jumper pin settings on a motherboard [Tom]
    Teach themselves
    Remember their first Mecca-like trip to a real storage facility or data center with more than 1000 servers [ahhhh Agilent's Datacenter]
    Know how to pronounce WYSIWIG
    Serve duty as the family's main technical support.

Re: Real Geeks......

loooooooveee PIZZA! ;D

Has 2 or more computers - 9 actually
    Refers to computers as 'boxes' or 'machines' - box
    Advanced skills in at least 2 different operating systems - Linux and Windows
    Never spends money for apps (at least almost never) - only for games
    Knows what "apps" mean - der...
    Knows that whatever they say you cant do, you really can - I love proving my friends wrong...
    Knows at least one language (prog) by age 20 - crap, I'm 22 and I've tried to teach myself C (unsuccesfully). How about bash-scripting, does that count?
    Has some kind of certification between 18-20 and could careless about getting a real job - no actually, quite the opposite, in both cases
    Run their PC with no case, or never have the cover on their case because they lost the screws - Used to, but my main box is on a carpeted floor in a corner. MASSIVE amounts of dust down there...
    Will find themselves unable to sleep when their mind attempts to tackle that yet unresolved technical/programming issue - why do you think I'm up now?
    Has a home network - gotta link those 9 computers up somehow...
    Thinks that all the world's problems can be solved with the right code - not really, but it certainly can be fixed with the right OS
    Would prefer to watch movies they downloaded rather than renting them from Blockbuster - depends. If its one of my favorites (Snatch, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction...) then I have a copy on my HD for 'spontanious' viewing...
    Rips their cd's to mp3s so they can listen to them on their computer rather than use a stereo - yeah... so...?
    Knows what "rip" means - everyone does these days...
    Treats their relationships like complex algorithms - no
    Remember the glory days of DOS and when you had to make jumper pin settings on a motherboard - still do, kinda. That wasnt DOS related, it was hardware related. eg: more than 1 HD, change the jumper pins on the IDE card.
    Teach themselves - the best (albiet hardest) way
    Remember their first Mecca-like trip to a real storage facility or data center with more than 1000 servers - dont know of such thing here in Australia
    Know how to pronounce WYSIWIG - never heard of it, but I can try... wee-see-wig ???
    Serve duty as the family's main technical support. - every friggin day. But I dont mind, that much...

...so thats 15 out of 21 - do I qualify for a real geek? I dont feel it...

...I think this quiz is rigged...

...whats that? It's not a quiz? pfft, oh well...

TTFN,
    ScRapZ_1 :P

Real geeks:
    - Use Vim
    - Have a cool firewall (OpenBSD + pf)
    - Like to learn languages just for the heck of it
    - SSH into their box as soon as they get at work to check their email with mutt
    - Can do everything in the console

ScRaPz_1: Learn Python or Ruby. In less than a month, you'll be not bad a programmer, so you will have achieved more geekdom!

Know how to pronounce WYSIWIG - never heard of it, but I can try... wee-see-wig ???
    WYSIWIG-WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet. You got the right pronunciation. Used on editors like KWord or MSWord or applications as Dreamweaver, where the results will be the same thing you are seeing on screen.

WYSIWIG-WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet. You got the right pronunciation. Used on editors like KWord or MSWord or applications as Dreamweaver, where the results will be the same thing you are seeing on screen.

More aptly known as WYSIWYMG (what you see is what you might get) and WYSIAYG (what you see is all you get).

Brother please:

Real geeks use Ogg Vorbis instead of Mp3.
    Real geeks have at least at one point succesfully build Linux from scratch.
    Real geeks prefer CLI to GUI.
    Real geeks know the power of scripting.
    Real geeks find stuff like Userfriendly really funny (which it is)
    Real geeks have erased Windows from their harddrives to prove a point !
    Real geeks constantly rebuild/tweak/modify their boxes setup.
    Real geeks are never fully contend with their system.
    Real geeks know that RISC is good
    Real geeks have a closer religious relationship with their texteditor than with God.
    Real geeks include Linus Torvalds, Alan Cox and Rik Van Riel in their evening prayer to the big GNU. (j/k)
    Real geeks pratice their people skills in flamewars.

Real ubergeeks have at least once caught themselves thinking... where's the I/O port on this, when in bed with their partner (that include' inflatable ones for those among us who are godlike ubergeeks).
    Real ubergeeks have at least once caught themselves dreaming in C.
    Real ubergeeks knows the meaning of the g word.
    Real ubergeeks thinks of Telsa Cox as a pinup girl.
    Real ubergeeks laughs at danger..... when it involves beta software at least.

Kind Mastermind

Has 2 or more computers Check
    Refers to computers as 'boxes' or 'machines' Check *
    Advanced skills in at least 2 different operating systems Check *
    Never spends money for apps (at least almost never) Check
    Knows what "apps" mean Check
    Knows that whatever they say you cant do, you really can Check
    Knows at least one language (prog) by age 20 You must be 20 or less, eh?
    Has some kind of certification between 18-20 and could careless about getting a real job You definitely must be 20 or less.
    Run their PC with no case, or never have the cover on their case because they lost the screws Too dusty here in Turkey, but I have lost a lot of screws
    Will find themselves unable to sleep when their mind attempts to tackle that yet unresolved technical/programming issue Check
    Has a home network Almost, I have to fix my second computer, upgrade the first, and wait for the third to get here
    Thinks that all the world's problems can be solved with the right code Don't code. *There are better answers to lifes problems than computer code
    Would prefer to watch movies they downloaded rather than renting them from Blockbuster If my computer was faster and my internet connection wasn't so pitifully slow, maybe
    Rips their cd's to mp3s so they can listen to them on their computer rather than use a stereo [Dave] Ogg, not mp3...and whose Dave?
    Knows what "rip" means True, but when talking to my wife I have to use copy, not rip
    Treats their relationships like complex algorithms *People are soo complex that you can't reliably use a complex algorithm, you have to make allowances for simple arithmetic
    Remember the glory days of DOS and when you had to make jumper pin settings on a motherboard [Tom] *I don't really like DOS, but I remember it well. *And, I remember when setting jumpers was cool and fun
    Teach themselves True, but my chief student is an ass
    Remember their first Mecca-like trip to a real storage facility or data center with more than 1000 servers [ahhhh Agilent's Datacenter] Doesn't really thrill me...mostly because I wouldn't be allowed to touch them!
    Know how to pronounce WYSIWIG So?
    Serve duty as the family's main technical support. *Too true, too true.

Oops...checked your profile and I guess you aren't 20 or less .

More aptly known as WYSIWYMG (what you see is what you might get) and WYSIAYG (what you see is all you get).
    That's fine for me. If I use a text editor to make a project, or a web editor to make a page, I hope that what I see is what I will get!!!I'd be pissed off if it wasn't so.