Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

CRUX-- Anyone tried it ?

Thread: CRUX-- Anyone tried it ?

CRUX-- Anyone tried it ?

I was on irc and someone mentioned this distro: http://www.crux.nu

it's a i686-optimized distro.. archlinux is based on this one..

Anyone tried it or have any opinions ?

Thanks,
    Shebang

Re:CRUX-- Anyone tried it ?

Well, I am currently posting from CRUX.. It's a distro that combines the strong points between BSD and Linux. It uses Ports as it's Package Management. It uses the BSD-Like Sysvinit Scripts. It uses the Linux Kernel. It's really nice and it's i686 optimized.

But I doubt it's better than Slackware.

Yes I have tried both of those and like them both. But currently do not have either installed. I've been thinking of putting one or both back on since I got new hard drive.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=7;threadid=9753;start=0#msg88596 date=1094329504]
    Yes I have tried both of those and like them both. But currently do not have either installed. I've been thinking of putting one or both back on since I got new hard drive.

[/quote]

This is a really nice distro.. I'm using it because it's i686 optimized and the fact that it's really fast...
    Though it's not Slackware, it has a fairly good future ( i hope). The package management (pkgadd, pkgrm, pkginfo) doesn't check for deps (like pkgtool ) and the binaries are tar.gz. Ports is similar to Portage (i don't know about others but the only BSDs i tried are NetBSD and F-BSD, I didn't do much in F-BSD or NetBSD.. ) and /usr/ports/ have the crux.nu base reps and if you don't have a package in ports then you go to http://clc.morpheus.net/portdb/ and check out the reps and see if they have your package and sy

And also, there is a package manager that does check deps for you, it's prt-get, you do: prt-get depinst foo will download and compile all the necessary deps for foo and foo itself... The only flag that it uses is march=i686 (i686 optimized).. pretty much it.. it's a nice distro over all.

Not only does ports get the source and compile it, it won't make install, it's builds the binary for easy package removal. So it won't break many things..

And the installer installs binaries so it's not as bad as compiling your base and everything.. You can get everything upto basic necessities and X set up with the binaries provided in the cd.. then you just use ports to get additional packages.

Thnx. for the mini review, you did a good job. I see alot has changed since I tried it. I guess it was one of the first releases.

I may still give it another go.

Does it setup your hardware like sound card etc... like slack?

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=7;threadid=9753;start=0#msg88825 date=1095049507]
    Does it setup your hardware like sound card etc... like slack?
    [/quote]

Well, if gentoo/slack could easily recognize your hardware, then this does too. I have old hardware and everything functioned properly ( for me at least)

So it recognized it and set it up for you?

yeah. sorry forgot about that part in my reply. Yeah it did.