Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to be Asian !

Good Guru

Re: How to be Asian !

ha! all lies! asian (particularly japanese) cell phones are 1/10th the size with 100x more gadgety geekness than any of the throwbacks they sell over here in the states.
    Oh, I agree. The one we have here are no way compare to the ones I saw when I visited Japan last year. They have a lot cooler cellphones stuff than here. And we have no women who will dance on stage while selling cellphones but they do over there .... 8)

Good Guru

I guess you have to be asian for that to be funny ???
    Actually NO. You just have to be open to other cultures and their way and understand other than your own ...

Oh, I agree. The one we have here are no way compare to the ones I saw when I visited Japan last year. They have a lot cooler cellphones stuff than here. And we have no women who will dance on stage while selling cellphones but they do over there .... 8)
    Dance on stage while selling cell phones?? What the hell, I'm going to Japan!

Good Guru

Dance on stage while selling cell phones??
    While I was waiting for my host girl to pick me up at Shinjuku station, and the fact that she will get to the station two hours after she got off work, I wonder around the train station. There, I see the stage-like tent with a lot of cell phones for sale. Must have been more than 30 kinds of cool cell phones and stuff. They are making sale pitches ( in Japanese of course but I don't understand it ) and make small dances and sing on breaks ( from making sale advertisement, I guess ). I hardly see any over-weight J-gals in Japan ( unlike here in the US, of course ;D ). They are very cool ... Japan is also very beautiful and I love it there except that the food don't satisify my big-meal-eating-American-stomach and houses are very small. Also, most Japanese don't speak English at all unlike Hong Kong where most wil at least understand what you are talking about ( that's true for even general people ). You can't get around Japan speaking only English but you can easily get around Hong Kong speaking English.

I heard that there are a lot of English speakers around Tokyo. I don't know where Shinjuku is. I do know I'd love to visit Tokyo and Kyoto. Japanese history interests me and actually seeing the place would be cooler. Nihon o aisuru.

Good Guru

I heard that there are a lot of English speakers around Tokyo.
    Not really ... I mean when I asked info about Train from Narita International airport, those guys couldn't even tell me good. I mean ,come on!, they are working for an international airport.. Narita and Tokyo is about 2 hours train ride ( with speed train ). If you go to Tokyo's high-class working areas, you will see many who speaks English but then again, what do I want to do there if I'm just visiting and sight-seeing around town? Even many at big shopping centers can't speak English. I think it has a lot more to do with national pride of Japanese not to speak foreigh language rather than their own. If you want to see English speaking people, go to Okinawa. ;D

I don't know where Shinjuku is.
    Shinjuku is a major business area western part of Tokyo. You must go to Shinjuku if you are going to Japan. I mean Tokyo is after all only government office city. Shinjuku is the business center just like New York and Washington, D.C of US. I sat down at the train station and was looking at all those girls ( heheheh ) and after a while, I got dizzy ( I swear ).... Man ... there are so many people passing around..... Since I had to look really careful searching for my host girl but a while later, I had to sit down and close my eyes .... I've never seen that many people in my life before....
    If you like more info, see here.
    http://www.tokyoessentials.com/shinjuku.html

Japanese history interests me and actually seeing the place would be cooler.
    Yeah, Japanese had rich royal history and the place is very very nice ... The cleanest palce I've ever visited besides Singapore.

I'd disagree with compunuts, I'd say about 2/3 of the people I met in Tokyo spoke English dropping to about 1/3 out in the sticks of Hokido. (I spoke about 6 words and was out there for a month and a half, so you can survive with little Japanese)

But I will agree with him about Shinjuku, and if you're going to Tokyo you should pop and see Akibahara(sp?) where all the electrical reatailers are (It can seem like you're stepping right into Blade Runner). iirc it's on the edge of Shinjuku

I'd disagree with compunuts, I'd say about 2/3 of the people I met in Tokyo spoke English dropping to about 1/3 out in the sticks of Hokido. (I spoke about 6 words and was out there for a month and a half, so you can survive with little Japanese)

But I will agree with him about Shinjuku, and if you're going to Tokyo you should pop and see Akibahara(sp?) where all the electrical reatailers are (It can seem like you're stepping right into Blade Runner). iirc it's on the edge of Shinjuku
    I hang around with a lot of Japanese people and one of my roommates is Japanese, I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that. You must've been really lucky, because there aren't that many English-speakers in Japan generally from what I gather. As Compunuts mentioned, it's their pride, not to speak another foreign language, but that's changing now as Japan is probably the most westernized Asian country in Asia. If you failed English in the states, you may still teach English in Japan, as long as your English is better than theirs.

I plan to teach English (mind you, I've never failed English, or any language course) in several countries in Asia after I graduate. I can't wait.

Jaa koko no dare wa nihongo de hanashimasu ka?

I hang around with a lot of Japanese people and one of my roommates is Japanese, I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that. You must've been really lucky, because there aren't that many English-speakers in Japan generally from what I gather. As Compunuts mentioned, it's their pride, not to speak another foreign language, but that's changing now as Japan is probably the most westernized Asian country in Asia. If you failed English in the states, you may still teach English in Japan, as long as your English is better than theirs.

I plan to teach English (mind you, I've never failed English, or any language course) in several countries in Asia after I graduate. I can't wait.
    I suppose we were quite lucky, but we did make an effort to speak as much Japanese as posible, and most of the people we talked to were young and they were definatley more eger to try thier English on us, than older folks. Also I forgot to take into account that our sensei was also an english teacher out there so it was good practice for his pupils. I guess I kinda have an inacurate view.

I never knew that it was easy to teach out there, I assumed they would be really stringent about TEFAL people, so it might be I could consider for the future (I might have to learn to spell a bit better first ;D)