Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Martial arts - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Re: Martial arts

I wish I took something. Hopefully some day soon I'll have the money and time to get training. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of dojos around here I'd trust to offer good teaching. Half of them seem like kiddie places.

I took Kyukushinkai karate when I was young. I'm thinking about taking Eagle Claw and Tai Chi when I have time. I figure if the whole Taiwanese and Chinese armies are learning Eagle Claw, it must be hellah powerful.

Wushu style Kung-Fu

/me puts right hand over left fist, and bows.

Plan to start Tai Chi. Need to focus more on that.
    You mean like this?

J/k I know what you mean:

BTW, you can just say Wushu. Wushu means "martial arts" and it's in Mandarin, whereas kung fu means work in Cantonese, which basically mean the exact same thing. My brother's in Wushu.

Umm, I can juggle! I can start off juggling three things with both hands, switch to juggling with two with one hand (either hand) and back to three with two hands! :P
    sans-hubris...for some reason, I always think that you're philippino (are you?)...there's a philippino martial art that specializes on butterfly knives, it's one of the most dangerous martial arts in southeast asia I think. Some of the weapons they handle are super cool.

Of course muay thai fighters fight for life, so I don't know who'd be more dangerous.

BTW, you can just say Wushu. Wushu means "martial arts" and it's in Mandarin, whereas kung fu means work in Cantonese, which basically mean the exact same thing. My brother's in Wushu.
    Yes, I could say Wushu, but to let people know it is "Kung-Fu". Well that's kinda close. I wrap my hand over my fist. Eagle Claw would be nice. I'm happy with the Tiger form though, but I would really like to learn more Crane, and Leopard.

I took Kyukushinkai karate when I was young. I'm thinking about taking Eagle Claw and Tai Chi when I have time. I figure if the whole Taiwanese and Chinese armies are learning Eagle Claw, it must be hellah powerful.
    Kyokushinkai is a pretty powerful style, from what I've seen. A lot of the top K-1 guys have a kyokushinkai background.

I've been told that Eagle Claw uses a lot of joint locks, but I've never met anyone who studied it. Sounds very interesting though.

there's a philippino martial art that specializes on butterfly knives, it's one of the most dangerous martial arts in southeast asia I think. Some of the weapons they handle are super cool.
    The main filipino arts are escrima, arnis and kali. Those are the ones who emphasize weapon work, some prefer sticks, some swords, and some knives. I've had a little training in kali, and yeah, it's great fun. Unfortunately, I've had no training in the balisong, but it does look like tons of fun.

The arts of sikaran and kuntao (or kuntaw, depends on how you want to spell it) are mainly empty hand systems, but I think they cover some weapons as well.

Of course muay thai fighters fight for life, so I don't know who'd be more dangerous.
    No kidding. In Thailand there's no such thing as amateur fighting, so the kids usually begin their professional fighting careers around age 12, and continue fighting as often as once every 3 weeks until their mid-to-late 20's, depending on how successful they are. It's not uncommon to see fighters with a couple hundred fights under their belts. They are definitely tough.

shoriniji toraken ryu; includes kempo and jujitsu. *i try and get in some iado or jenjutsu when i can, but i have a hard enough time squeezing in the main stuff into my schedule
    Sounds interesting! One of my wife's friends used to study Shorinji kenpo before she moved down to Virginia. I'm not sure if the version she studied included the jujutsu or not.

One more thing. If you guys aren't wasting enough time over here, you can check out this board for some friendly martial arts discussion. They've got a pretty good community over there, whether you actually study martial arts, or are just learning about them.

And no, I don't operate the site, nor am I a mod over there, I just really like it and wanted to spread the word a little.

I did Korean Tai Kwan Do for a short time before moving to Florida where I found no sensi's that I belived could teach correctly.
    Isnt it Taekwondo, i procticed for 4 year when i was younger, going to start practice it again in 3 months or so.