Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

how to setup my DHCP in linux box

Thread: how to setup my DHCP in linux box

how to setup my DHCP in linux box

hi

please let me know how to setup my DHCP in linux box.

thanks

cheers

yours lisa

DHCP config

hi

this is the answer for your simple silly question....... :lol: :shock:

to get DHCP started:

1. Some older Fedora/RedHat versions of the DHCP server will fail unless there is an existing dhcpd.leases file. Use the command touch /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases to create the file if it does not exist.

# touch /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases

2. Use the chkconfig command to get DHCP configured to start at boot:

# chkconfig dhcpd on

3. Use the service command to instruct the /etc/init.d/dhcpd script to start/stop/restart DHCP after booting

# service dhcpd start

# service dhcpd stop

# service dhcpd restart

4. Remember to restart the DHCP process every time you make a change to the conf file for the changes to take effect on the running process. You also can test whether the DHCP process is running with the following command; you should get a response of plain old process ID numbers:

# pgrep dhcpd

5. Finally, always remember to set your PC to get its IP address via DHCP.

DHCP Servers with Multiple NICs

When a DHCP configured PC boots, it requests its IP address from the DHCP server. It does this by sending a standardized DHCP broadcast request packet to the DHCP server with a source IP address of 255.255.255.255.

If your DHCP server has more than one interface, you have to add a route for this 255.255.255.255 address so that it knows the interface on which to send the reply; if not, it sends it to the default gateway. (In both of the next two examples, we assume that DHCP requests will be coming in on interface eth0).

Note: More information on adding Linux routes and routing may be found in Chapter 3 on Linux Networking.

Note: You can't run your DHCP sever on multiple interfaces because you can only have one route to network 255.255.255.255. If you try to do it, you'll discover that DHCP serving working on only one interface.

Temporary Solution

You can temporarily add a route to 255.255.255.255 using the route add command as seen below.

# route add -host 255.255.255.255 dev eth0

If you want this routing state to be maintained after a reboot, then use the permanent solution that's discussed next.

Permanent Solution

The new Fedora Linux method of adding static routes doesn't seem to support sending traffic out an interface that's not destined for a specific gateway IP address. The DHCP packet destined for address 255.255.255.255 isn't intended to be relayed to a gateway, but it should be sent using the MAC address of the DHCP client in the Ethernet frame.

You have one of two choices. Add the route add command to your /etc/rc.local script, or add an entry like this to your /etc/sysconfig/static-routes file.

#

# File /etc/sysconfig/static-routes

#

eth0 host 255.255.255.255

Note: The /etc/sysconfig/static-routes file is a deprecated feature and Fedora support for it will eventually be removed.

Now that you have configured your server, it's time to take a look at the DHCP clients

check your luck

all the best.

cliff

Hi,

If you want to install DHCP server in debian check this link very good tutorial

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/dhcp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lisadone
    hi

please let me know how to setup my DHCP in linux box.

thanks

cheers

yours lisa