Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Age old which distro for me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age old which distro for me?

Age old which distro for me?

Hello, been away for way too long. Getting ready to head back to Linux and I am sure many things have changed.

I am looking for a easy install, maintain suite of Linux something that has Apache (or whatever webserver), able to do a desktop and with minimal configurations

So please dont turn this into a my distro is better than yours just be gentle as I am getting older as we go.

Thanks,
    Rastar

BTW its good to be back!

Re:Age old which distro for me?

[quote author=Rastar link=board=12;threadid=10868;start=0#msg97369 date=1136841611]
    Hello, been away for way too long. Getting ready to head back to Linux and I am sure many things have changed.

I am looking for a easy install, maintain suite of Linux something that has Apache (or whatever webserver), able to do a desktop and with minimal configurations

So please dont turn this into a my distro is better than yours just be gentle as I am getting older as we go.

Thanks,
    Rastar

BTW its good to be back!
    [/quote]

Hard to beat Ubuntu for ease of install and use plus all the power of Debian under the hood. Great default packages too. Minimal post install futzing.

Good Guru

Yeah, second that for Ubuntu. I'm a die hard Debian fun (and still is with my server and stuff) but Ubuntu had been my desktop for a while and I like the way they do it.

oh!! i like ubuntu too - have installed it for a couple of people who i am sick of fixing thier infected pc's.

i run fedora core 4 here at home - also very nice.

;D

Good Guru

I guess I cant shit on Ubuntu at all. But Fedora is great as is FreeBSD (for desktop usage) or OpenBSD (server side, or desktop with no need to deal with MS Windows).

If you have compatible hardware, Solaris 10 is kicking some serious butt.

Kind Mastermind

I also suggest Ubuntu. They will ship free pressed CDs to you if you want them to. They have great guides and forums, too. Hard to beat.

Cheers

Ubuntu

It's only one cd as well. Download, burn, install.

If you're a KDE man, try Kubuntu. Same distro but with KDE as the default desktop. I believe they've also made small modifications to both KDE and Gnome to make them more usable.

I like Ubuntu also and use it, but also take a look at Mepis, its KDE and debian based!

i have suse on the PC and ubuntu on the laptop
    extremely pleased with both

except when im working at 4am and the beagle indexing starts...