Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Using Lynx to view LJR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Lynx to view LJR

Good Guru

Using Lynx to view LJR

Wow. This is a wayyyy different way to view the internet!

I am using Lynx to surf while I am waiting for this box to finish rebuilding a DB, and WHOA!

Kind Mastermind

Re: Using Lynx to view LJR

Wow. *This is a wayyyy different way to view the internet!

I am using Lynx to surf while I am waiting for this box to finish rebuilding a DB, and WHOA!
    Is that a good WHOA! or a bad WHOA!? I like Lynx. It is very fast, which is a plus. Unfortunately, I have viewed webpages that made it barf once or twice. That doesn't mean it isn't good, it's just not my favorite.

Re:Using Lynx to view LJR

And I still don't understand and I guess I won't ever understand why anyone would like using lynx ???

8) w3m 8)

Advisor

[quote author=NGene link=board=17;threadid=2842;start=0#36643 date=1023268410]
    8) w3m 8)
    [/quote]
    or links

Real Unix gurus use telnet 80 for their browsers:
    Code:
    telnet www.linuxjunior.org 80
    GET / HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.linuxjunior.com
    ;D

And I still don't understand and I guess I won't ever understand why anyone would like using lynx ???

8) w3m 8)
    [/quote]When I zorched Xwindow a while back, Lynx saved my BUTT; I could still look for answers on the internet even though I didn't have a GUI. Debians web site is really odd using Lynx, but the answers are still there.

Good Guru

Re: Using Lynx to view LJR

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=17;threadid=2842;start=0#26787 date=1023223418]

Wow. *This is a wayyyy different way to view the internet!

Is that a good WHOA! or a bad WHOA!? *I like Lynx. *It is very fast, which is a plus. *Unfortunately, I have viewed webpages that made it barf once or twice. *That doesn't mean it isn't good, it's just not my favorite.
    [/quote]

Actually a good WHOA! I was surprised how simple it is to still work in Lynx.

Good Guru

[quote author=Charles Dexter Ward link=board=17;threadid=2842;start=0#36683 date=1023286640]

8) w3m 8)
    [/quote]When I zorched Xwindow a while back, Lynx saved my BUTT; I could still look for answers on the internet even though I didn't have a GUI. Debians web site is really odd using Lynx, but the answers are still there.
    [/quote]

No kidding, I have had X bork out and needed to redownload my nVIDIA drivers and get some help on the XF86Config syntax, and Lynx saved my ass big time!

But I was using it at our Voicemail switch (big POS) and I couldnt telnet or dial in (that box rebooted and the idiot who last worked on it set it so it would halt on all errors -- no kb did it) so a little surfing was in order

I use to use Lynx for 80 plus percent of my browsing. Now I almost never use it, but it is there when needed.

NGene: does w3m do cookies now? It use to not, which was why I never used it.

[quote author=cga link=board=17;threadid=2842;start=0#36817 date=1023324875]
    NGene: does w3m do cookies now? It use to not, which was why I never used it.
    [/quote]

Yes it does. Cookies are disabled by default but you can enable them.

I don't know if links does cookies these days, but when I first realized there was text mode browsers that can do tables, I prefered w3m to links because with w3m I was able to log in to websites like LNO.

BTW, in which century have you used w3m? I thought it'd been able to do cookies for a pretty long time now :P