Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Installing SuSE Kernel RPM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing SuSE Kernel RPM

Installing SuSE Kernel RPM

Hi all !
    Been away from Linux for over a year and have forgotten some things regarding Linux. I downloaded an rpm, kernel-source-2.6.11.4-21.9.i586.rpm from the SuSE web site. The Administration guide states I should use
    rpm-Uvh and package name.However, I cannot seem to type it up correctly.I tried several different ways and all I get is command not found.Will someone show the right command as I
    do not remember it.I'm using SuSE 9.1

Thanks

Re:Installing SuSE Kernel RPM

hello,
    when installing a kernel always use rpm -ivh kernel-xxx - you want to install a new one - not overwrite the old one.

i have to assume the rpm command is there somewhere - it is pretty fundamental - if not i woudl reinstall... one really gets into the chicken and egg issue here....

if it is not found i would re-install. have you tried yast?

Yea I tried yast and everything seemed to install ok but when I put an entry in lilo for the new kernel ran lilo and rebooted I chose 2.6.11,it still loaded 2.6.5 kernel (default kernel) Symbolic link problem?So rpm -ivh is a better way than rpm-Uvh?

Is this right? rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.6.11.4-21.9.i586.rpm then hit "enter"?

Are you running it as root? the rpm executable might not be in the path of the regular user.
    Otherwise, try the following:

Code:
    updatedb
    This will create a database of all the files on your computer.
    Then do
    Code:
    locate rpm
    This should show you the path of the rpm executable.

[quote author=johnmann link=board=2;threadid=10704;start=0#msg96092 date=1127196372]
    Yea I tried yast and everything seemed to install ok but when I put an entry in lilo for the new kernel ran lilo and rebooted I chose 2.6.11,it still loaded 2.6.5 kernel (default kernel) Symbolic link problem?So rpm -ivh is a better way than rpm-Uvh?

Is this right? rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.6.11.4-21.9.i586.rpm then hit "enter"?
    [/quote]

hum - did you change your default kernel?

Yes - use rpm -ivh kernel.xxxx for kernels - as far as i am aware everything else can use rpm -Uvh

yast uses rpm too - so what trickster says - locate rpm would be a good idea

Well ok,
    I got the rpm to unpack just fine no errors at all.Ran mk_initrd and that went fine. I put in an entry for the new kernel in lilo (linux2.6.11) listed it as (default) renamed the old kernel as (linux2.6.5) ran lilo all went well.Rebooted chose the new kernel and I'll darned if it didn't load the 2.6.5 kernel ! Both the 2.6.5 and 2.6.11kernels are in /usr/src/ , symbolic link points to 2.6.11 (linux-2.6.11.4-21.9-obj) I followed the SuSE Administration Guide to the letter then threw it out the window cuz it's a piece of junk.So, any ideas on a fix?

Thanks

What makes you think it booted to the old kernel? What is the result of
    Code:
    uname -a
    after you boot to the new kernel?

Yea, already ran uname -a and it loaded the 2.6.5 kernel. Should have compiled my own dang kernel like I used to. If anyone has an idea on what I should do fire away!!! Thank You trickster

Can you post a copy of your /etc/lilo.conf file, and the contents of your /boot directory?

Here is my lilo.conf file

message = /boot/message
    timeout = 8000
    prompt
    default = Linux.2.6.11
    boot = /dev/hdi3

image = /boot/vmlinuz
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier:
    Original name: Linux.2.6.5###
    label = Linux.2.6.5
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    optional
    root = /dev/hdi3
    vga = 0x314
    append = "splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hdi2
    showopts

other = /dev/hdi1
    ###Don't change this comment -YaST2 identifier:
    Original name: Windows.2000
    label = Windows.2000

image = /boot/vmlinuz
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier:
    Original name: Failsafe###
    label = Failsafe
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    optional
    root = /dev/hdi3
    vga = normal
    append = "showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume
    nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3"

image = /boot/vmlinuz
    label = Linux.2.6.11
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    optional
    root = /dev/hdi3
    vga = 0x314
    append = "splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hdi2
    showopts"

My /boot Directory only has 2.6.5 kernel listed all over the place. Not one reference to the 2.6.11 anywhere whatsoever.However,in the symbolic link vmlinuz, I checked properties and it has (type"unknown&quot But config,System.map,initrd,vmlinuz (not the sym. link file) all have 2.6.5 listed in plain sight.At least I have vmlinuz.old,initrd.old files

Thanks