Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

No more cookies in Europe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more cookies in Europe

Hybrid View

Mentor

No more cookies in Europe

The European Parliament on Tuesday voted to adopt an amendment to the draft directive on electronic data collection and privacy to restrict the use of cookies. If the vote is ratified, Web sites will have to explicitly ask users if they want to accept cookies--a move that the advertising industry says could be damaging to business.
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...zdnnp1tp02Very interesting. Unfortunately, cookies in people's mind became malicious pests that are used for advertising and invading privacy by tracking movements on websites.
    Cookies are just a tool, like a knife for example. A knife can be used to chop up food in the kitchen or kill somebody with. Should knives be banned?
    Cookies or not evil, people who use it for evil purposes are. This site for example is using cookies without hurting anyone.
    If I understand correctly, websites have to ask permission from the user to use cookies. Well, users already have the option to disable cookies in their browsers, so I don't understand what difference this decision should make.

Mentor

Re: No more cookies in Europe

The avarage use has no idea what a cookie is!

I think it is good to ask about the cookie, why not it's my computer i should know whats being stored on it, right?

If advertising companys what to store cookies on my pc isnt that like haveing ad space without paying for it?

Mentor

The avarage use has no idea what a cookie is!
    So what good is it to ask them about permission for cookies? ???
    If advertising companys what to store cookies on my pc isnt that like haveing ad space without paying for it?
    If the cookie is used for advertising, yes. But again, cookies are not just advertising tools.

Advisor

If the cookie is used for advertising, yes. But again, cookies are not just advertising tools.
    True, the "average" user will most likely answer yes to every question they're asked.. *And with the way the different browsers are trying to translate the word cookie in their language deffinitions. I personaly get confuse, when my trusted browser comes and ask if I want to store a "info utilization"[1]... WTF.. give me the correct name cookie.... That I can understand..

And for that matter, the users, that wouldn't answer yes on a question like this, either they're not aware of what is going on, and most likely ask the Sys Admin, WHTF is going on, befor they do anything, the rest are like us, who have found the setting to "ask the user when accepting cookies"...

[1] Translated from my native tounge in the most correct manner I can think of.

Like everything else in the computer world, there are no pre-exisintg laws that cover these issues so every lawmaker's first response is to ban something or make it illegal. I think some sort of regulation, or law for legimitate and ilegitimate usage, is not a bad idea, but this must have the consumer in mind--meaning that users need cookies and should have them set without being be prompted for each. At the same time however, they should be protected against the more malicious uses, like an ad company building marketing profiles.

However, to just to outright ban something is nuts and a reactive responsive, rather than proactive.

As for the average user, that would have to include the lowest common denomonator, which would mean the law would have to be geared towards those people who have no clue what a cookie is. Laws usually protect the ignorant more than those of us who are in the know.

I really think that for the most part, laws stay out of the net. I understand that if someone steals your credit card number or something like that they get in trouble ... but that is more of a meat world thing. If anyone is to pass laws on electronic fronts it should be an apointed group of people from many nations and not regioned group else we get all kinds of cultural crap meshed in.

Well, I know a bunch of people who use Gator, which is nothing more than a cookie that remembers passwords (and is perhaps the dumbest-looking icon in circulation(which might be an interesting subject in itself: What IS the stupidest icon floating around?)). 8)

Mentor

That seems like a REALLY big loop hole to me.

I agree with ashcrow: I really think that for the most part, laws stay out of the net.
    Well i think there should be a governing body that sets guide lines for the internet as a whole but for a counrty to say " we dont want cookies." how do you enforce that?
    What if some dude from france hits my web site in america ?
    does every other country other than europe need to scan for ip's that are from a certin know range from those countries and exclude them from getting cookies?
    sounds pretty stupid to me!

I think the only rules that should be on the internet are the rules you'd have to live with in another situation. For instance, you should have to follow copyright rules and shouldn't be able to steal personal information from someone. But as for doing nondestructive annoying stuff when someone visits your site, there's nothing wrong with that.

Mentor

But as for doing nondestructive annoying stuff when someone visits your site, there's nothing wrong with that.
    what does that mean ? nondestructive annoying stuff?