Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys put on yuor resumes?

What do you guys put on yuor resumes?

I am thinking of changing my job and was wondering, what the heck do you guys put on your resumes? I guess I'm really wondering how in depths do you go? Do you list all the nitty gritty of your daily jobs, all the servers and services you know how to admin, or just the big issues and things you have accomplished.

Re: What do you guys put on yuor resumes?

here is part of mine - it has landed me a few interviews but i suck at interviewing.... put in as many keywords as possible and specifc systems e.g. - TCP/IP networking is much better than networking, - i think my resume sucks but i do get calls still from when i posted it on monster about 8 months ago.

software engineer- January 2000 to Present Wrote and implemented requirements for an embedded CDMA phone to be used in an automotive environment. Extensive work with ClearCase. Used HP and Tektronix logic analyzers to trace code execution. Wrote C code to run on RTXC Real Time OS. Modified C functions to enable device to work in extreme conditions and helped to debug problems in a complex software system. Used in house emulation tools to simulate code on the M Core processor. Wrote UNIX shell programs to install software for other users. Trained new members of the group with simulation software. Performed feasibility studies to implement the IS707 commands using the GSM07.07 protocol. Worked with a team to develop a non volatile memory manager and battery charger for use in a Blue Tooth handset. Wrote C programs to exercise the hardware for testing and configuration for shipment.

electrical engineer September 1996 to January 2000 Worked with a team to develop a base control radio control boards for use with the iDEN system. Extensive design work with Motorola s DSP56311, DSP56307 and DSP56002 Digital Signal Processors. Designed interface for three DSP56307 s on a quadruple base radio. Designed SPI interface for the base radio s DSPs using VHDL for Programmable Logic Devices. Wrote test code in assembly language to test hardware and to interface with other devices on the Base Radio. Analyzed timing between DSPs and peripherals. Wrote and reviewed documentation for Base Radio Control boards. Designed digital logic in hardware and VHDL for control of multiple DSPs, PLDs and peripherals. Supported software groups in all phases of design. Certification and design cost reduced Base Radio Control Board. Supported other groups in Fixed Product Design Center. Designed power supply that meets Six Sigma quality for Ethernet on cost reduced Base Radio Control board. Analyzed and certified the timing between Motorola s MC68302 s memory and peripherals. Analysis of SPI network on the iDEN Base Radio. Dealt with maintenance issues for iDEN control board. Trouble shot and found solutions to problems for control boards.

Associate

I have a section for specific things I know... i.e. different networking transportation (T1, V.35, OC-3, etc).

Then when I do the job experience, I keep things a little more vague (for example: "Tested hardware and software for telecommunications equipment&quot. The "Skills" section already tells the employer what I know about telecommunications, the employment part tells them what I did at that particular job.

There are different ways to do it, and I don't think it really matters to people how you lay it out. Make it readable, and the most important thing to remember is to make sure the spelling is correct. Nothing will send your resume to the garbage faster than a typo.

Kind Mastermind

I am thinking of changing my job and was wondering, what the heck do you guys put on your resumes? I guess I'm really wondering how in depths do you go? Do you list all the nitty gritty of your daily jobs, all the servers and services you know how to admin, or just the big issues and things you have accomplished.
    You should have a cover letter to go on top of the resume. It should not take longer than two minutes to read. Your cover letter should be vague (networking instead of tcp/ip networking), but provide enough meat to attract the headhunter. You should use the cover letter as a general overview of your skills and knowledge, just in a more or less readable format. No more than one page.

Your resume should be specific without getting too technical. Some head hunters are not necessarily going to know what tcp/ip is. Be careful about trying to sound too technical. It can be a turn off. Tailor the resume to the company. If you are going to be interviewed by Snuffy Smith at anycompanyusa, then don't be too technical. If you are interviewing at hewlett-packard, then you will obviously need to be technical. Know your audience.

When interviewing, always look the interviewer in the eyes, give a good, firm hand shake and don't slouch. Don't sit unless directed to and never use the following words:
    Yeah, nah, etc. These are real turn off's. Proper English should be used, without it sounding strained. Have a friend or relative interview you in exactly the same clothes you are planning on wearing to the interview. This will make it easier for you during the actual interview. Have them interview you two or three times.

Hopefully these tips prove helpful. My resume is so jacked up, I usually don't know what to say (I've been a cop, an airfield manager, supervisor, workgroup manager, etc.). We, strangely enough, have to use resume's when we want to apply for certain types of jobs (military training instructor, recruiter, nco ic of blah-blah, etc.). I have interviewed several times for different things, and the tips I gave have worked wonderfully.

Here are some things that you don't want to do. They may sound totally stupid but someone at my college actually did it.

For education, don't put what elementary school you went to, especially without putting your high school and college.

Don't put childish interests like pogs and Nintendo games. It's fine if you like that stuff but I don't think many employers would smile upon seeing that on a resume.

For objective, don't put "apply for a job". Also don't mention a specific company.

When mentioning your college in education, don't leave out what kind of degree you got.
    Don't misspell words and use bad grammar.

If you do any of these except maybe the last one, you are a retard.

Kind Mastermind

Here are some things that you don't want to do. They may sound totally stupid but someone at my college actually did it.

For education, don't put what elementary school you went to, especially without putting your high school and college.

Don't put childish interests like pogs and Nintendo games. It's fine if you like that stuff but I don't think many employers would smile upon seeing that on a resume.

For objective, don't put "apply for a job". Also don't mention a specific company.

When mentioning your college in education, don't leave out what kind of degree you got.
    Don't misspell words and use bad grammar.

If you do any of these except maybe the last one, you are a retard.
    I think most employers don't really care which elementary school or jr/sr high school you went to (unless it is a prestigious prep school). Bad grammar will get your resume tossed out as well. If you can't capture the headhunter's attention in the first few minutes, your done.

Oh I'm not saying grammar is not important. It's just that it happens even to smart people, whereas anyone who is going to college and lists only their elementary school under education is a retard.

Kind Mastermind

Oh I'm not saying grammar is not important. It's just that it happens even to smart people, whereas anyone who is going to college and lists only their elementary school under education is a retard.
    Agreed. Of course, someone has to be at the bottom of the class standings!

When he was making all those drafts of his resume (it took him about 15 tries with our help before he finally made a decent one), it made me feel like I had a good chance of landing a job when I graduated.

Mentor

i could e-mail you a copy of mine , if you want? let me know!