Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oregon or not?

Re: Oregon or not?

Sounds good, binary, I do want to stay out west. Doesnt have to be southwest but definitely west. Plus a few microbreweries wouldn't hurt either. 8) I wish I had the time and money to go visit that state.

Portland's a big city though right. Million people live there? And if there are any cyclists here, is Portland very bike freindly? Flagstaff sure isn't.

Associate

Seeing as how I live in Portland, I guess I can add to this thread.

Yeah, Portland has a ton of breweries that make really good beer.

However, remember this, Oregon just officially declared itself to be in a recession! *I'm a product of that, and am currently unemployed. *(I'm going back to school next semester to start towards a master's degree).

As for house prices in the PDX area, I couldn't tell you. *I've been renting since I moved here (~1.5 years ago). *The people are really mellow (at least the ones I've met) and the whole city is generally more casual than other cities I've lived/visited.

The job market's pretty crappy right now, but depending on what you can do, there are *some* jobs. *My suggestion is to go to http://www.oregonlive.com. *It has a job search engine, and will also give you a good idea about what's around Portland.

Salem isn't too far away (I used to work with a guy who commuted from Salem everyday).

PDX also has Mt Hood not far away for skiing, or just looking at. *Mt St Helen's is in sight as well. *I can see it from my front porch. *(I'm renting a house on an Island about 10 miles from PDX proper).

Suburbs outside of Portland consist of:
    Troutdale
    Hillsboro
    Gresham
    Tualitin (Tualutin) -> I have no idea how to spell this one
    Lake Oswego (This one's pretty expensive)
    Beaverton
    Scappoose (Or Scapoose, again, not sure of the spelling)

There are a few more than this, but if you're looking for a place, and these names come up, it will give you a good idea of where they are. (If you know where PDX is in the first place).

Weather:
    Fall: *Rain! *(I grew up in Western NY, so rain doesn't bother me like it does for other people.)
    Winter: More Rain (In the mountains: snow)
    Spring: a little less rain
    Summer: *Both summers I've lived here, we've been in droughts, so no rain.

It doesn't rain continuously, but you'd be a fool not to expect it if it's cloudy out.

PDX has parks everywhere, including the largest forested region in a metroplitan area. *Ever see things for Survivor? *One of the women was from Portland, and her video had her biking in forest park topless. *Forest Park is in PDX proper.

They also make a lot of movies here. *The latest one has Tommy Lee Jones, and Benicio del Toro.

Um, that's about all I can think of. *If you live in Portland, you can pretty much walk or catch a train anywhere you want. *If you live in the 'burbs, expect some pretty crappy traffic at times.

Oregon itself is a great state, high desert in some places, great mountain skiing in others, ocean beaches, and the Columbia Gorge. *

(Holy crap, you'd think I work for the tourist department.)

If you move to Oregon, I bet you'll like it. *I haven't met anyone who has come to Portland and NOT liked it.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I've been lookin online and found a bunch of sites about the city. Just by looking through some "best of Portland" lists, that gives me a good idea of what the city would be like. Definitely a big change from the overpriced transient town I live in. Now the next question is what does an average 2bedroom apartment run there? Im paying $720 a month for a crappy 2 bdrm place here and thats low for this town. Most run near 800 not including utilities.

Associate

Now the next question is what does an average 2bedroom apartment run there? Im paying $720 a month for a crappy 2 bdrm place here and thats low for this town. Most run near 800 not including utilities.
    Well, I couldn't begin to give you prices on 2 bedroom apartments around here. *The problem with PDX is that each "neighborhood" has their own prices.

When I say "neighborhood" I mean that the city is divided by it's geographic orientation, and that's the way most people think of the neighborhoods. *I live(d) in NorthWest Portland since I've gotten here, and I paid 565 for a one bedroom apartment. *The houses (to buy) in that neighborhood are around $1 million because of the whole "quaint" thing... or it may have been because the mayor lived a block away.

www.rent.net (or is it rent.com) has always been a good source for rental places. *I have a friend who's ex-girlfriend works for a property place, and I can talk to him about it, but you'd have to give me a couple days on that.

Regardless of where you move, I suggest that you invest some money to come out here and take a look around, to see where you'd really like to live. *Each part of the city is different, but for different reasons. *NW Portland is very simple. *The streets are numbered in one direction, but if you're driving down a numbered street, the cross-streets are alphabetized... i.e. Burnside, Couch, Davis, Everett... I guess you get the picture.

I'd imagine that you could get a decent 2 bdrm place for what you're paying now, but the question is... "is this where you want to live?". *

Take a few days, fly up here, rent a car, and cruise around. *Every part of the city has their own characteristics that make you want to live there. *Unfortunately, each part of the city also has their own rental rates. *

However, like I said before, if you live in the city you can get anywhere by train, bus, cab, or the streetcar (basically, just another above-ground train.).

Hope this helps a little. *Portland is a great city. *I've never regretted moving here.

Remember though... Oregon is officially in a Recession. *The job market sucks (depending on what you do for a living).

Ok, I guess I've spouted off enough. *Hope you move here... it's a great place to live.