Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Hey kenshi

Thread: Hey kenshi

Hey kenshi

About your Linux users are too l33t, I can help: you can have the l33tness factor of Linux with the ease of FreeBSD: NetBSD!!

Re: Hey kenshi

I heard NetBSD has less hardware support than FreeBSD. I need my hardware support.

Good Guru

Are you kidding?? NetBSD support more hardware platform than FreeBSD does. The only thing FreeBSD has advantage over other BSDs is that it support more Intel based hardwares ( SBLive and 3D VID cards come to mind ). You can virtually compile NetBSD on 30 platforms including Atari and Amiga. You can't say that for FreeBSD. I have a version ( NetBSD 1.5 ) made by Wasabi systems.

http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/#sblive

And it supports a lot of hardware. *Only thing you may lack is good 3D support for your nvidia card.

Also, FreeBSD runs on these platforms at the moment: x86 and Alpha. PowerPC, Sparc64, x86 64 bits are in developpement.

NetBSD runs on these platforms:
    acorn32**
    algor****
    alpha****
    amiga****
    amigappc*
    arc******
    arm26****
    arm32****
    atari****
    bebox****
    cats****
    cesfic**
    cobalt***
    dnard***
    dreamcast evbsh3***
    hp300****
    hpcarm***
    hpcmips**
    hpcsh****
    i386*****
    luna68k**
    mac68k***
    macppc***
    mipsco***
    mmeye****
    mvme68k**
    netwinder news68k**
    newsmips*
    next68k**
    ofppc****
    pc532****
    playstation2 pmax*****
    prep*****
    sandpoint sgimips**
    sparc****
    sparc64**
    sun2*****
    sun3*****
    vax******
    walnut***
    x68k*****
    x86_64***

Is that enough?

Good Guru

Yeah I heard that one a few months ago but wasn't able to check out. Thanks for the link.

Are you kidding?? NetBSD support more hardware platform than FreeBSD does.
    So? How many hardware platforms do I have in my house? Not including game consoles, one. And it happens to be IBM-based. So FreeBSD gives better hardware support for my machines. Whenever I buy a Vax or some crazy system, then maybe I'll try NetBSD.

Speaking of IBM, I wonder if FreeBSD for Alpha is more mature thatn NetBSD for Alpha?

Good Guru

So? How many hardware platforms do I have in my house? Not including game consoles, one.
    Still the notion that FreeBSD had better hardware support than NetBSD is simply not true.

So FreeBSD gives better hardware support for my machines. Whenever I buy a Vax or some crazy system, then maybe I'll try NetBSD.
    If you think it's better FOR YOU, then it's okay. You will never know what you will be ending up with. PS2?? Sparc?? Some handheld?? Board based systems?? POS machines ( point of sales ) ??

Still the notion that FreeBSD had better hardware support than NetBSD is simply not true.
    In total, I guess it doesn't. But strictly for the x86, FreeBSD does have the upper hand. Even if all my hardware was supported in NetBSD, what advantage would I be getting? As far as I'm concerned, my machine is already secure and stable enough. I've only had it lock up once and that was because I was reading a corrupted fat12 floppy. I block all ports with my firewall so I doubt I'll get hacked. The only thing I really need is software support, and FreeBSD has more supported software than NetBSD plus has Linux emulation. And it has Wine and VMWare for those Windows programs. (I don't run any but hey...) There's not much that FreeBSD won't run. And the ports collection is nice when you get used to it. I'm quite happy with FreeBSD and though I wouldn't mind trying NetBSD, I wouldn't erase FreeBSD to do it.

If you think it's better FOR YOU, then it's okay. You will never know what you will be ending up with. PS2?? Sparc?? Some handheld?? Board based systems?? POS machines ( point of sales ) ??
    I think it's better for the average x86 user. I really don't know any advantage of NetBSD over FreeBSD other than the multiple platforms. If I could get different platforms to play with, like Sparcs and Alphas, I would, but unfortunately my pocket isn't deep enough. I'd love to have toys like that around. And don't forget that if I did get one, I could put Linux on there as well. It's not like I've grown into some FreeBSD user who doesn't like Linux anymore. There are many situations in which I would prefer Linux over anything else. Just not on my computer right now. To close it off, I'll say that you Linux users have something that I miss and that's iptables. Ipfw just doesn't float my boat like iptables did. That's the only thing I can think of though.