Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A question for TeRG... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question for TeRG...

Re: A question for TeRG...

I kindda like the hackers.com BBS. In the programming section and in the UNIX/Linux section, there's no talk of script kiddies.
    hmm, i just checked out the forum... i like it, i registered and i plan on visiting it a lot. the site is slow though

btw,
    kenshi: why do you have your name in hex?
    Why do you have your name in ASCII?

Because it's considerably easier for humans to read, I'd guess.

Why do you have your name in ASCII?
    im not goint to answer untill you answer mine.

im not goint to answer untill you answer mine.
    It was a rhetorical question really. It's about the same as asking, "Why not?" I have to type my name in some method, so I chose hex. If that answer doesn't suit you though, then it's because you can't have enough characters in your name to allow for me to put it in binary. (That's really an assumption. I'm not sure exactly how long names can be here.)

Feztaa: What's so hard about reading numbers? There are only 16 possible hex digits. There are 26 possible English alphabet characters, 36 alphanumeric characters, and far more total ASCII characters. Besides, these handles are intended to provide uniqueness from the other users of this board and no one else has a long set of hex digits as their user name, so it's really quite difficult not to recognize me whether you can read hex or not.

Plus hex is just plain cool

And isn't tminos a little kid?

Feztaa: What's so hard about reading numbers? There are only 16 possible hex digits. There are 26 possible English alphabet characters, 36 alphanumeric characters, and far more total ASCII characters. Besides, these handles are intended to provide uniqueness from the other users of this board and no one else has a long set of hex digits as their user name, so it's really quite difficult not to recognize me whether you can read hex or not.
    Sure, I can read the numbers "six bee six five six ee seven three six eight six nine", but the point is that most humans can't actually read that for what it means.

One bad thing about hex is that you have to use two hex digits for every one ascii character. Far too inefficient for me

And isn't tminos a little kid?
    15 years old. He thinks he knows everything about UNIX, computers, networks, politics, etc. I mean, the kid is so annoying. He always trolls that FreeBSD is better than GNU/Linux, yet he just made a post on LNO into which he says he's going back to Salckware :

Sure, I can read the numbers "six bee six five six ee seven three six eight six nine", but the point is that most humans can't actually read that for what it means.
    You ought to be able to guess what it means. And if you can't, then you don't need to know. I'm not here to come up with names that are meaningful to humans. You should recognize me by my avatar of Kenshi (my character from which I based my name) or my signature. Recognition is all I care about.

One bad thing about hex is that you have to use two hex digits for every one ascii character. Far too inefficient for me
    That's true, but it's because you're actually printing hex in ASCII. If your computer (namely the video card) was intended to print only hex numbers, the registers would be 4 bits and values could be packed.