Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antarctica!

Antarctica!

I've always had a dream of going to Antarctica no matter for how long. Well I did some research on it and found out that it's really not so crazy of an idea. There are people hired in the United States to go work in McMurdo Station doing all kinds of jobs. In summer (which is during the northern hemisphere's winter), the population grows larger than my town! I've always thought it was a desolate wasteland but it turns out to be about what I'm used to. And in summer, the temperature isn't much lower than here in Texas. Yesterday I checked and it was 40F. (That's about 5C for you foreign freaks.) If I just stayed during summer, it would just be a fairly cold winter for me. I'd actually get to play in some real snow too and see penguins. So what do you guys think? I've already posted this at LO to get their thoughts. I've tried to contact the company in charge of it but their line has been busy. I'll probably have to try tomorrow before I go to work. Am I crazy? I would have thought so two days ago but from the research I've done, it's more sane than going to Alaska around this time. And yes, I'm really serious. I actually got excited about it today driving home.

Mentor

Re: Antarctica!

about how many people are in your town?

i say do it! why not ?

There are 768 people in my town as of the 1990 census. They won't put signs up for the new census so I don't have a recent population count. But a faq I read said McMurdo gets up to 1000 in the summer. In winter, it's around 250. That's a lot of people for such a desolate place.

And yeah, this would be quite an adventure. I thought about waiting until later to apply, but I've decided that if I don't do it now, I may never do it so I have to give it a try now.

I think that's cool Kenshi, so go ahead and try it! Also, if you go in Antartica, you could try to help the NetBSD project by porting NetBSD to the Iceberg platform.

I think that's cool Kenshi, so go ahead and try it! Also, if you go in Antartica, you could try to help the NetBSD project by porting NetBSD to the Iceberg platform.
    Ha ha. Send me a cd and I'll see what I can do.

A major hurdle has revealed itself on the Antarctica project. I visited Raythean's home site (the company in charge of it) and the typical summer season ends in February. Also, I have to mail an application so I'm not sure if they'd hire me for that short amount of time. If I got crazy and decided to stay there all year, then I'd have to take a psychological test. I really don't know what those test for but I know I'm strange, so I don't know if I can pass it. On the other hand, I do well when isolated and I'm not aclaustrophobic, so maybe I could. What do you guys think? Can a Texas boy live through an Antarctic winter? Bear in mind that this is at the edge of Antarctica and not the coldest part by far, but still far colder than here. I don't know. I just hope they contact me and give me my options.

By all means, go for it. Years ago, I took a summer job on a banana boat to Honduras, and the memories will always be with me. This opportunity you have won't last forever (you mentioned the phone was busy. I guess you know why). If you put it off, you'll find excuses in the future to put it off "til next year", and soon you'll drop the idea or the job will no longer exist. Stop reading this crap and send in your app. Good luck. 8)

You have my permission and blessing, as long as you bring me back a real penguin... ;D

I colleague of mine did his research in the Trans Antarctic Mountain Range. He told me that it was, beyond a doubt, the most beautiful place on Earth.

gee kenshi... what about the gun laws over there? are u allowed to carry a gun? and if not, would u want to go to such an oppressed area?

By all means, go for it. Years ago, I took a summer job on a banana boat to Honduras, and the memories will always be with me. This opportunity you have won't last forever...
    Yeah, I know. I don't think there are many places on this Earth that would be more adventurous than going to Antarctica. I mean it's a big ass frozen desert. It sounds like the kind of place I'd like to live (except for the excessive cold).

you mentioned the phone was busy. I guess you know why
    Not really. It was a fast busy signal as if the phone was out of order or something. I think something wasn't right.

If you put it off, you'll find excuses in the future to put it off "til next year", and soon you'll drop the idea or the job will no longer exist. Stop reading this crap and send in your app. Good luck. 8)
    That's exactly what I've decided. I can't just put something like this off. I have to try now and try later and keep trying until I can call myself an Antarctican.