Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Hate Math

Re: I Hate Math

I enjoy logic problems and even do them in my spare time when theres nothign better to do. I hate my grade 11 programming class. I thought I would get a challenge by taking the grade 11 course when I'm in grade 10 but its still pathetic. Its so simple. We get marked on making stupid games like craps then we get extra marks for making it look pretty. I wish we made programs that required math knowledge or even some kind of thought. Most programs have about 40 lines of code. I only wish my school had a course on perl or c or something
    That's exactly why I don't take programming in high school. I did the programming module of Information Processing 10, and finished the whole thing (turbo pascal crap) in under 2 hours. My teacher told me it would take a week or two...

That's exactly why I don't take programming in high school. I did the programming module of Information Processing 10, and finished the whole thing (turbo pascal crap) in under 2 hours. My teacher told me it would take a week or two...
    What would you like then? In a company, unless it's computer company, they won't ask you to do complicated things: "We want a program calculate the pay of each employee" That's the kind of thing they ask. Not a program that will calculate pi or anything.

I thought programming was all about making the computer do the math for you? In that case, sucking at math would actually make you a better programmer
    If only it was that simple. As my microprocessors teacher told us, computers are stupid. They know basic arithmetic and a few other things. They're just really fast at it. So you have to teach them how to do it. That's what programming is all about. And how are you supposed to teach them how to do mathematical crap when you don't know it yourself? Like I said, some programs don't require it but you'd never be able to do 3-D graphics or anything like that without some serious math.

Like I said, some programs don't require it but you'd never be able to do 3-Dgraphics or anything like that without some serious math.
    and we all know how many programs use 3D-graphics *:

What about games, scientific software, movie software?

and we all know how many programs use 3D-graphics :
    That is simply one example. Actually, practically all graphics require math whether 2-D or 3-D. Even side-scrollers do. And you can read kozumo's post for more examples.

What would you like then?
    Well first of all, I'd like to learn a language worth learning! TURBOPASCAL!!!! > > >

Has anybody honestly ever used TurboPascal in the last 10 years for anything nontrivial??

In a company, unless it's computer company, they won't ask you to do complicated things: "We want a program calculate the pay of each employee" *That's the kind of thing they ask. *Not a program that will calculate pi or anything.
    Sure, that's what the company asks. But when I get better at programming, I want to make big contributions to the open source movement. You can't do that with TurboPascal and Hello World apps.

I like math. I had a love-hate relationship with it in school (damned attention deficit disorder). But now, I've decided to learn it as a hobby. I bought a math study guide and I do trig problems in my spare time. When I finish with that book I'm going to do a calculus book. I want to keep going until I understand theoretical physics.

What really got me interested in math was fractal geometry. I read a book about fractal geometry and then started playing with some fractal generating programs. The programs let you create your own formula files, but a lot of math was involved. I decided to learn the math that was necesary, complex numbers, the complex plane, trig functions, etc...

I'm fascinated by the stuff.

Sitting down at the keyboard requires no math skills whatsoever. Algorithmic development, analyzation, and optimization, however do. Computers are based in math, and in order to manipulate them it's neccessary to have a firm grasp in math. I didn't realize this until fairly recently. A lot of well-known algorithms are simply mathematical proofs. If you're going to program efficiently and coherently, math has to be there.