Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Math

Re: I Hate Math

well, if it were that important i guess my grades for programming wouldn't be so high
    Unless you're getting a degree in programming, I doubt you've had to program anything on an advanced level. Of course the hello world and what is your name programs don't require math.

Unless you're getting a degree in programming, I doubt you've had to program anything on an advanced level. Of course the hello world and what is your name programs don't require math.
    i am getting a degree in Programming and Systems Analysis
    but we don't have to write many applications, we usually just get all the theory and then there's an exam.
    but i've programmed for companies during the summer before and i never had problems with it because i'm not great at math

I blame the school system for ruining math. I like math but all the pointless work they make us do. In my grade 10 academic math course we learn a new concept then we spend an hour doing questions envolving that concept over and over again until your so bored of it you want to kill someone. Like factoring. Its so simple yet we've spent the last week on it doing the same stuff
    I also blame the school system. I guess I have the same problem in my school (a high school): the teacher teaches us a new concept (if he happens to bother teaching us anything), and then we do the same kind of exercises over and over again until everyone's bored. It's unbelievably awful. Now it's even more frustrating because I just took my final exams, and because I took them 6 months earlier than normally, I still have to go to the math lessons. It's frustrating to sit there after I've taken the exams, and I skip almost every lesson because I hate it so much. And the teacher doesn't even care much.

But then again, I don't think there's anything wrong with math in general... sometimes I even borrow from library books that have all kinds of math and logic problems, and I enjoy solving them. Especially when I've almost pulled my hair out and then it all comes together and I have the AHA feeling that redhead was talking about.

So, yeah, I blame the school system for making students to hate math!

I also blame the school system. I guess I have the same problem in my school (a high school): the teacher teaches us a new concept (if he happens to bother teaching us anything), and then we do the same kind of exercises over and over again until everyone's bored. It's unbelievably awful. Now it's even more frustrating because I just took my final exams, and because I took them 6 months earlier than normally, I still have to go to the math lessons. It's frustrating to sit there after I've taken the exams, and I skip almost every lesson because I hate it so much. And the teacher doesn't even care much.

But then again, I don't think there's anything wrong with math in general... sometimes I even borrow from library books that have all kinds of math and logic problems, and I enjoy solving them. Especially when I've almost pulled my hair out and then it all comes together and I have the AHA feeling that redhead was talking about.

So, yeah, I blame the school system for making students to hate math!
    Ohh the joys of high school... I wish I was back..

;D

Why keep you there if you have passed the class, cut it perm. it's just dumb...

Ohh the joys of high school... I wish I was back..
    Did you take the wrong pill again? You really should've taken the green one! ;D

Why keep you there if you have passed the class, cut it perm. it's just dumb...
    It's actually pretty complicated. We're supposed to have 7 math classes, and we have two exams per class and we have to pass those exams in order to pass the classes. After taking all the 7 classes, we have the final exams. I had taken 4 classes and then I took the final exams, but now I still have to pass the remaining 3 classes, and I guess that's why I have to be there.

Go figure, it's Finnish HS and it sucks!

Unless you're getting a degree in programming, I doubt you've had to program anything on an advanced level.
    I thought programming was all about making the computer do the math for you? In that case, sucking at math would actually make you a better programmer

Fetzaa: Not when you construct an algorithm for a math-oriented problem (or even non-math-oriented problems sometime suddenly require some math).

Calculating the complexity of an algorithm also requires math.

If you're getting a degree in Computer Science, you can't escape those things.

redhead: thanks for the advice and I agree with your approach except that I'm in College now and the time that requires me to have my lightbulb lit and say "Ah ha!" doesn't match up with the speed at which they're teaching the material.

I like math but I hate to study it. In HS I just would program my TI-86 to do it for me in Trig and Calc. Much more fun.

I enjoy logic problems and even do them in my spare time when theres nothign better to do. I hate my grade 11 programming class. I thought I would get a challenge by taking the grade 11 course when I'm in grade 10 but its still pathetic. Its so simple. We get marked on making stupid games like craps then we get extra marks for making it look pretty. I wish we made programs that required math knowledge or even some kind of thought. Most programs have about 40 lines of code. I only wish my school had a course on perl or c or something

I like math but I hate to study it. In HS I just would program my TI-86 to do it for me in Trig and Calc. Much more fun.
    I did that in stats: I got 21% because I didn't write any formula.