Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I Hate Math
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Math

I Hate Math

I know it's hard to understand for most of you Computer Science students, but I really hate math. I like discrete math, but I hate regular Math (Calculus).

There's so much information and I can't retain all of it. I have a feeling I'm going to fail my final exam (which isn't bad, because I'm sure I'll be able to do good next term). It's really frustrating, because you read about these guys Archimedes, Newton, Riemann, Liebnitz et al...they're fscking cavemen! Why can't I understand this stuff that these guys know! AARGH!

Plus there's just too much material. I can't know that much. I really envy those of you who are good in math, because I think Math is essential to understanding complex algorithms in programming.

Re: I Hate Math

Kinda like me to some extent...I love math. I love the concepts and find it so utterly cool and fun to learn, but I suck serious ass at it. Once I'm presented with a problem I can't do it for the life of me, but I do love the concepts.

Kinda like me to some extent...I love math. *I love the concepts and find it so utterly cool and fun to learn, but I suck serious ass at it. *Once I'm presented with a problem I can't do it for the life of me, but I do love the concepts.
    WOW, I have the same problem... I like math, but I suck at it !

i never liked math, but i was descent at it
    i always passed math (just barely )

i don't understand why so many people always say that u have to be good at math to be a good programmer. i never got more than 60% for math, yet i always average above 80% on programming classes

Ralinx: what's the highest level programming course you've studied?

I feel the same way as Tyr_7BE and Lovechild, but not doing good in it is quite discouraging. I wish me and Math could just get along!

i had classes in C, C++, Java, Visual Basic (yea i know...), Cobol, RPG on OS/400, xml, ... in college
    (well i still have some of those classes since this is my last year)

I like most math and am quite good at it. Writing proofs sucked though. I hated geometry. Anyway, math is quite necessary for some programming problems, but not all. If you want to create 3-D graphics, then you better be good in math. I've done a lot of stuff in assembler that required math, mostly pretty simple math but it could be hard to relate your real life problem to a simple equation. In summary, I would say you can definately program stuff without much math but I don't know if I'd recommend seeking a job in programming if you suck at math.

don't know if I'd recommend seeking a job in programming if you suck at math.
    well, if it were that important i guess my grades for programming wouldn't be so high

I blame the school system for ruining math. I like math but all the pointless work they make us do. In my grade 10 academic math course we learn a new concept then we spend an hour doing questions envolving that concept over and over again until your so bored of it you want to kill someone. Like factoring. Its so simple yet we've spent the last week on it doing the same stuff

Advisor

Hmm.. since I have a bachelor degree in math, I think I should express my feelings towards the subject.

The basic in math, is finding a way, to express the problem which lies befor you, in a way, where it sounds familliar to you, so you know with which steps the solution can be found.

This is in some way the greatest experience, when you get this AHA... feel when it all come together.
    Tho befor you get this, you have to come up with the tiny piece which rewrites the problem into a familliar expression (I hate this part/I suck at this)
    Since theres no true solution to how this is done, you wander around in the dark, untill the great gods wispers the missing piece in your ear.

But once you get the missing piece, you feel like Einstein, nothing can stop you, since everything suddently makes sence. (I love this part)

The thing, I think is crushing alot of peoples positive attitude towards math, is the fact that they give up, when the level reises to where, there's no hints that might lead you towards this missing piece, so you're all alone, and your brain just dosn't seem to find the right solutions.

I allways did well in math, but it was based on the fact, that I memorized the parts, where you were supposed to come up with the next step, and on that ground, the rest was just trivial, since you just have to use the given expressions/derivation on what ever problem lies befor you.