Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linspire for free

Linspire for free

well for a few days it's gonna be free ;D

http://info.linspire.com/freespire/index.html

Kind Mastermind

Re:Linspire for free

Hey, it actually worked, I have a free copy that I'm going to start bittorrenting soon.

Cheers

I just downloaded and installed it yesterday but I'm having a grub issue. If this should be in another thread, would someone move it.

I have Debian as my main OS with Win XP Pro, Ubuntu, Slackware and FreeBSD. This is an AMD 1.2ghz tower system with 384mb of ram.

I just installed Linspire 5.0 in another partition /dev/hda9 and during installation, didn't want it to take over the MBR, Debian Grub handles all boot options.

Once Linspire got installed, and I adjusted Debian's grub to add Linspire, I get this error message when it try to boot.

Software Suspend 2.1.7: Need to use resume2= command line parameter to tell Software Suspend2 where to look for image.

What does this mean and how can I fix it? It happens after the kernel seems to start loading.

Thnx.

Well I got it fixed. I just copied the grub entry listed in the /dev/boot/grub directory from the installed drive.

Good Guru

I would love to hear what your opinion is on Linspire 5.0. I got it to see if it was worth reccomending, and now use it all the time on my desktop. I have a VMWare image for Fedora 4, and am currently trying to get FC4 to install properly on my laptop.

Stop over at the forums there. Most people are pretty cool and is the only other forum (besides here of course) that I frequent on a daily basis. Do realize that few are true linux geeks there. Even the guy that wrote the book (Peter Van Der Linden) isn't a guru, like 95% of us here. But alot of good app ideas or tips do crop up.

And for those unaware there are now (for a month or so now) 2 CNR membership plans. $20 will get the basics, $50 includes that plus new OS's. So when 5.5 (or whatever its called at that point) is released, you can D/L it for free and get support only with the top plan (Gold IIRC). Insiders memberships also require the gold plan.

I love it, I would love to hear some feedback.

Those the free Linspire come with sample CNR service? I've wanted MythTv for such a long time and it seems to be a hastle in all distros.

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=7;threadid=10661;start=0#msg95815 date=1126073559]
    Those the free Linspire come with sample CNR service? I've wanted MythTv for such a long time and it seems to be a hastle in all distros.
    [/quote]

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=7;threadid=10661;start=0#msg95815 date=1126073559]
    [/quote]

Honestly I dont know, but you do get a free 15 day trial where you can cancel and get a full refund (dont recall if they switched their system to bill on day 16 or not. This was in the talks)

It does not come with CNR service. It was the whole reason I downloaded it...I really wanted to test out CNR.

The install CD functions as a live CD as well and it installs a pretty nice version of linux too. Out of the box with no CNR download, I had flash, java, mp3 and most other basic capabilities. No DVD player though...I have to pay for that.

I might give CNR a run in the future but I was really disapointed right now. I much rather have my free 2 weeks up front and be able to test it all out. I was not impressed with Xandros Networks (the O/S is awesome but the network is so dang slow!) and I don't want to pay $20 - 50 to repeat the experiance.

Besides, I just got FC4 working the way I want...wasn't that hard either.

Good Guru

You can sign up for CNR and get it for free for 15 days.