Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Vacuum Tubes - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vacuum Tubes

Re: Vacuum Tubes

One cool thing about vacuum tube stuff is that all the components are big. *You can actually hold them in your hand and really see what is going on. *When you look a tube circuit drawing and then look at the circuit, it is easy to see each component and follow the drawing, unlike much of solid state stuff that is microscopic and integrated.

Tubes are a great way to learn electronics.

Faster way: Take a leak on an electrified fence.

Ha ha. Reminds me of Ren and Stimpy.

Vacuum tubes are just wonderful. *I love them. *I have a number of old 30's, 40's and 50's vacuum tube radios. *I also have owned modern stereo amplifiers that use vacuum tubes. *They sound wonderful.

I made the mistake of switching to a "sand amp" a few years ago. *Now I am looking to get back to that sweet, lush tube sound in my big stereo.
    For my guitar I use the preamp stage to define the sound and the power amp to make it louder. I like a tube preamp to 'fatten' the sound, even if i am using digital signal processing also and then straight through two mosfet power amps to make it all louder. Bliss!

I find it easy to get replacement tubes for my preamp as lots of people like the tube feel, however quality control at the places the tubes are made in is definately lacking as no two pairs ever sound quite the same as the ones they are replacing, but maybe that has something to do with the old ones deteriorating through use and over a period of time.

In this age of ones and zero's many people don't get to fully appreciate an anologue growl or how nice unclean sounds really are. After all it is the roughness around the edges of a waveform that make it interesting to the human ear, not its clarity.

This was demonstrated to me years ago by a friends dad, he played a peice of music on a keyboard, set to produce an almost perfect waveform with no distortion. The melody was nice but that was it, I wasn't really griped by what i was hearing, he then played the same peice of music on a violin, the nice melody became a compelling piece of music. The difference was quite profound. Vibration is king!

It is possible to create nice sounds digitally and with 'sand' amps, the clarity is certainly much better, but you can't beat anologue equipment, or a live instrument, for 'feeling' the music.

I'm in real danger of talking bollox now so I'll shut up!

Amen!

I get into arguments with "audiophiles" all the time about what music is suppose to sound like. They get all obsesive with things like "imaging" and high frequency extension only dogs can hear. They like to brag about "air" and being able to single out an instument in a soundstage.

Live music, however, is seldom clean and sterile. It has an edge, a bite. It has distortion and bloom. It has a cavernous, enveloping sound that you can feel in your soul.

Tubes, to me, get this right more so than solid state amps, in terms of playback of recorded music.

And yes, analog does have more of a natural sound often times. Heck, I've alway felt that a quality vinyl LP played on a good turntable just blows the socks of off CD playback hands down. Some of you young folks have probably never even listened to a vinyl record.

Watch who your callin' a Youngster there Sonny!! *I used to collect 78 RPM records. *I had some that were 1-sided. *I played them on my first stereo. *Home-built with a single tube amp per channel, pre-amped thru a Sears passive guitar pre-amp. *When I was in the Navy, my Mother threw out ALL my 78's *(Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, LOTS more- about 200). *She couldn't understand why ANYONE would want that old music! *:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

If my mama ever did that to me, she'd be lucky if I put her in a home.

I DID put her in a home- it's called "cellar". She whines, but I just turn up the music, and I can't hear her. ;D

Ha ha. That's evil.

For my guitar I use the preamp stage to define the sound and the power amp to make it louder. I like a tube preamp to 'fatten' the sound, even if i am using digital signal processing also and then straight through two mosfet power amps to make it all louder. Bliss!
    I played with that for a while, but I still found the sound lacking. The "ballsy" sound (where it surges to a volume) is through the power amp.
    The EL34's are a little punchier than the 6L6's, but the tone circuit has a
    lot to do with it (I prefer the Marshall/50's model Fender circuit). I've been
    using a home made amp that cascades the two preamps of an black-face
    Fender (with a mix control) into a 50's Fender tone circuit into a EL34 power amp with the bios tweaked a little (for a little more class B drive).

Turn a knob to go from SRV to ZZ-Top.

It kicks!!!
    ~Guitarlynn

Well, I really only have experience in playback gear, but I'd just like to chip in that those EL34s are great amp tubes. *The Dynaco ST70 amp was the classic amp design (and still is) and it was an EL34 rig. *The Conrad Johnson "audiophile" amp was really nothing more than a over-priced and over-hyped clone of the ST70.

I've been looking at these new Antique Sound Lab amps which use a pair of of PCL82 dual tubes per chasis. *This tube has a triode and a pentoded in the same envelope. *These amps are tiny little things, like 8"x6"x10" and put out about 7 watts. *They go for $99 each, and since they are mono, you need two for a stereo. *But hey, that's $200 and shipping for a new pair of amps with tubes. *I can't even restore an old amp for that kind of scratch.

Look at the pretty pics. * ;D

These little guys, a good CD player and a pair of Fostex F103 in home made TQWT boxes and I'll be in tube-geek heaven.