Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Tubes

Vacuum Tubes

Vacuum tubes are just wonderful. I love them. I have a number of old 30's, 40's and 50's vacuum tube radios. I also have owned modern stereo amplifiers that use vacuum tubes. They sound wonderful.

I made the mistake of switching to a "sand amp" a few years ago. Now I am looking to get back to that sweet, lush tube sound in my big stereo.

Re: Vacuum Tubes

heh. im makeing one, but its not the same kind.
    im making a tornado machine (sounds crazy but its quite simple)

I have a buddy who got the audio equipment from a local theater when it was 'restored' a number of years ago. They're made by Altec- I think they're called Voice of the Theater. I DO know that they're rated at 75 Watts into 2 ohms. He got 2 mono amps and he's running them through a Carver tube pre-amp. What a sound!!!

tubes sound like crap.... If I wanted to "color" my sound I would listen to white noise !!

> TUBES >

From my experience with guitars, I have heard that tube amps sound better but I've never heard each back to back. They're also more expensive. I wonder why tube amps are better anyway.

From my experience with guitars, I have heard that tube amps sound better but I've never heard each back to back. They're also more expensive. I wonder why tube amps are better anyway.
    Could be psychological, could be elitism, could be lotsa things, but they DO have a "warmer" sound, more intimate- I dunno why. BTW, getting replacement tubes is difficult, the biggest manufactuing country at this point is the former Soviet Union, 'cause they were still using them when the government fell.

They do sound much better. I've heard a modern Mashall and an older Tube amp and the tube blew away the modern amp. They just have a more encompassing sound a lot warmer.

Unrelated but kind of the same, a lot of Emo groups won't record on digital equiptment, only analog. What do you expect from a genre that started in the 80's in DC. :-)

Part of it has to with the fact that tubes tend to have even order harmonic distortions rather than odd as in transistors.

I have a buddy who got the audio equipment from a local theater when it was 'restored' a number of years ago. *They're made by Altec- I think they're called Voice of the Theater. *I DO know that they're rated at 75 Watts into 2 ohms. *He got 2 mono amps and he's running them through a Carver tube pre-amp. *What a sound!!!
    Oh, I bet that sounds nice. The Voice of the Theater stuff is classic, and the old A7 horn speakers that those theaters used are magnificent.

tubes sound like crap.... If I wanted to "color" my sound I would listen to white noise !!

> TUBES >
    Have you even heard a good tube based audio rig? *

I'll grant you that it does not sound like MP3s squeaking out of little plastic speakers... :P

Gee, you've hurt my feelings.... :'(