Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

About Linux and a few questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Linux and a few questions.

Hybrid View

About Linux and a few questions.

Today Windows 2000 crashed because it disliked some printer drivers I installed. I fdisked, installed RedHat, the install went smooth and fine, I rebooted and bam! It detected my cdrw, nic, etc, within a few minutes I burned a cd, was surfing the net, and had fluxbox installed. I'm giving away all my windows software to a friend I will only use Windows if I'm paid from now on. I have Slackware on another box and plan to install Mandrake on my brothers PC he is buying in a few weeks. Now I have a few questions. What do I need to play .avi files? and what is the best burning software to backup mp3s?

Re: About Linux and a few questions.

mplayer should be able to play .avi files I think
    you just wanna burn all the mp3's on a cd ???
    can't you use a regualar cdburning progg xcdroast is one.

for avi's: mplayer, xine or avifile
    for burning: cdrecord (and maybe a GUI front-end for it if u like)

Thanks, downloading them now.

Anyone know where I can find Xine? I keep looking and I can't find it. Hey, is XMovie supposed to play sound? I can't get it to do it for me.

Today Windows 2000 crashed because it disliked some printer drivers I installed. I fdisked, installed RedHat, the install went smooth and fine, I rebooted and bam! It detected my cdrw, nic, etc, within a few minutes I burned a cd, was surfing the net, and had fluxbox installed. I'm giving away all my windows software to a friend I will only use Windows if I'm paid from now on. I have Slackware on another box and plan to install Mandrake on my brothers PC he is buying in a few weeks. Now I have a few questions. What do I need to play .avi files? and what is the best burning software to backup mp3s?
    Good for you! Windoze B Gone!!!

I am actually giving away a full install, legal copy of Office 97 to a coworker who uses Windows. I don't even have office installed on the old box which is running 98. I really think that I am going to wipe that drive and put Mandrake on there for my wife to use. Then the 98 disk can go bye-bye too.

I have no use for Windows at all. AOL CDs make nicer coasters. ;D

mplayer is the best video player for UNIX. It supports many formats (avi, asf, mpeg, dvd) and recently they've added QuickTime support!!

mplayer is the best video player for UNIX. It supports many formats (avi, asf, mpeg, dvd) and recently they've added QuickTime support!!
    and their new 0.60-pre2 version supports RealMedia as well (according to their site that is)

woot .. has anyone tested if it really works with realmedia ?