Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a new PDC on a NT Domain

Installing a new PDC on a NT Domain

No, this isn't about linux... No I haven't Posted here in a while. But I was hoping someone on this board either knows what's involved with this task, or can point me to someplace that does know. At work here we have an old NT 4 PDC that I am going to replace. I am currently working on getting the folders, permissions, and usernames transfered. I however have heard a lot about how NT4 relies on SID numbers for domains. I currently have the NEW PDC installed as a PDC of the NETWORK2 Domain, and will transfer to the NETWORK domain. I have a feeling with windows this may be harder than it sounds. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Installing a new PDC on a NT Domain

Yeah, computers are added to the domain through a user account. The user account is simply the computer's NetBIOS name. When it connects for the first time, it changes the password and remembers it. I can think of two options for you to do. First is to copy the sam database. I can't remember which file it's in though. Second is to reestablish the computer accounts. On the domain controller, you'll have to delete the computers from the domain and readd them. You may have to tell the workstation computers to leave the domain too and then rejoin them. If you have a lot of computers, this is a whole lot of work.

Good Guru

Easy. Install the new server as BDC. When it's ready, took down the PDC and promote the new BDC as PDC. Or at least that's what I thought you wanted to do......

Yeah. That might be easier.

Well I looked into it... and it looks like I just have to manually demote it to a BDC, then change the network it's on, get the SID from the PDC, take down the original PDC and one of the BDCs will automatically promote itself

The fun part is I get to transfer all the files, reorganize them (maybr I don't need the "re" part), and make sure that the shares are close to what they currently are...

Well I looked into it... and it looks like I just have to manually demote it to a BDC, then change the network it's on, get the SID from the PDC, take down the original PDC and one of the BDCs will automatically promote itself

The fun part is I get to transfer all the files, reorganize them (maybr I don't need the "re" part), and make sure that the shares are close to what they currently are...
    The best way to do it, as was pointed out, is to install the new PDC as a BDC, demote the old PDC, then promote the new BDC to PDC. However, if you change the domain (network) name, you will most likely have to re-join all your NT boxes to the domain. You will have to re-set file permissions and may run into other problems. I changed the network name of a NT4 domain once and it took me about 2 weeks to sort the mess out. I don't recommend doing it unless you absolutely need to.

The server I am putting in place is going to replace the file server, so I need to know a few more things... How does the network Identify the shares? If I move this server into the PDC role on the network, and rename it to the old server name, with identical shares, will everyone still have access? As long as I set permissions right (and better) of course.

Perhaps. I don't think shares are associated with SIDs, but rather with UNC names. I've never tried it. However, if you have log on scripts that handle drive mapping, you can very simply remap the drives without having to change any server names at all. Do as much as you can with log on scripts as it will save you many many visits to users.

Unfortunatly, the person before me didn't use log on scripts... I'm thinking of writing log on scripts to automatically remove, then map the new drive(s) for the users. How do I specify things in the script for users though? Each user uses two networked drives... their department drive, and a shared drive. I know that it is possible to get the group on a NT client... but we have a mixed NT/2000/9x environment here...

Unfortunatly, the person before me didn't use log on scripts... I'm thinking of writing log on scripts to automatically remove, then map the new drive(s) for the users. *How do I specify things in the script for users though? *Each user uses two networked drives... their department drive, and a shared drive. *I know that it is possible to get the group on a NT client... but we have a mixed NT/2000/9x environment here...
    You can write a script for each departmental group; you can also use the vairable %USERNAME% in a simple if --> goto batch statement. However, it is best to try to write one script that accomplishes everything you want. To map drive by group membership on NT and 9x, I believe you will have to have some client side support. Check out this article http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/I...ArticleID=5869 . It should cover everything you want to do, but may require some clientside setup. It will cost you some workstation visits at the outset, but it will save yo administrative work in the future. Also, if you are ambitions, you can try writing a batch script that will install your client-side support upon user login. Then you'll have to make no client visits at all. *

Once you hit the Win2k server world, and Active Directory, all of this will become a lot easier and require zero workstation visits.