Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with dress code...I wanna change it

Help with dress code...I wanna change it

I did cross-post this on LNO, I hope that is alright

This is my dilemma. As it stands, our school dress code prohibits any facial hair, and I just can't take it anymore. I simply require a beard. So I'm going to go in front of the schoolboard and state my case.

This is what I have so far:
    1. The obvious - it doesn't hurt anyone if I have facial hair, freedom of expression, self confidence, personal info/I'm a good student...when you see an adult with a beard you don't automatically assume anything, etc etc.

2. This is where I hope to actually convince them. I will start a petition. I can get 100% of the high school students to sign, most of the high school falculty, most of the jr. high and elementary faculty, and at least 300 or so other citizens of this town (it's only a town of 850) to sign. I figure with that many signatures, it is obvious that the town would like the dress code to be changed, and as members of the school board they are obligated to do what the citizens of the town would like them to. I figure a fat stack of paper with hundreds of signatures could carry some weight.

Also, I have started a BOCC (beards of celeste club) that will help me with the cause.

What do you guys think? Am I forgetting anything? Would I be better of presenting this to them in person or mailing it in letter form?

Thanks guys,
    Aaron

Re: Help with dress code...I wanna change it

I think it's fine. Bannign facial hair is very odd. Come up with some great names who had beards and give a nice long list (Literary figures, poets, presidents, many forefathers did I am sure, etc..).

I remember a similar instance on the local radio station a while ago. One thing to say is that it doesn't distract you or other students.

Be sure to present the petition in person, cleanshaved. If you have a beard when you present it, you will give them the impression that you are simply a lazy bum who wants the rules changed to accomodate your lifestyle. If you are cleanshaven when you present it, you will give them the impression that you are willing to adhere to the rules if you must, but you would prefer to grow a beard. And it doesn't matter if you really are a lazy bum, the point is that they will take you more seriously if you give the impression that you are willing to live by the rules

Fight those fools. My high school had the same crap. You had to shave. Males couldn't grow their hair past their shoulders. I had a friend who got all kinds of body piercings his senior year and the next year they outlawed that. Now it sounds like the school has turned into a military zone. It's utter bullshit. Ask them nicely to repeal the rule and if they don't, sue their ass for violating your constitutional rights as an American citizen and as a human being. And if you can't afford that, grow a goatee anyway and go on strike or something. High school students are given too much shit and after going through college, I realize that even more.

I think it's fine. Bannign facial hair is very odd. Come up with some great names who had beards and give a nice long list (Literary figures, poets, presidents, many forefathers did I am sure, etc..).
    ...cloverm, me.....

I can understand why they ban facial hair on students in schools, (I don't always agree with it tho')

If you can get half of the people you say to sign a petition there should be no probs, but good luck any way.

Do it dude! Goatees rock!

Mentor

Be sure to present the petition in person, cleanshaved. If you have a beard when you present it, you will give them the impression that you are simply a lazy bum who wants the rules changed to accomodate your lifestyle. If you are cleanshaven when you present it, you will give them the impression that you are willing to adhere to the rules if you must, but you would prefer to grow a beard. And it doesn't matter if you really are a lazy bum, the point is that they will take you more seriously if you give the impression that you are willing to live by the rules
    I couldnt agree with fezzy more.

I'm one of those people who believe that there are rules in high school for a reason. They are tring to prepare you for real life.
    Out in the real world if you had a beard the boss and told you to shave it and you got a petition together to keep your beard you would be fired!!

go ahead with the petition i think it will be a great experience but i also think it a waste of time.

Is this a 'public' or a private school? You've got a better chance of winning if it's public by far.

It's a public school.

School is out there to prepare you for real life and college right? Most colleges allow facial hair..correct? Also, there's only a chance that my future employer will make me shave. It's not by any means a certainty. I think that it is an unnecessary rule.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to write them down.

School is out there to prepare you for real life and college right? Most colleges allow facial hair..correct?
    I think the idea is to teach you how to live with rules that cramp your style in general, not to simply live without a beard -- or even more generally, it's to teach you that life just isn't fair.