Thread: Old  5 1/4 drives...

Old  5 1/4 drives...

Looking for some floppies I found my old floppies and I remembered when I got my first computer an IBM "PC" ... My question is do you guys still use those floppies... Should I get a 5 1/4 floppy drive I have somewhere...

BTW It seems that a lot if not all my floppies are going bad... Some are up to 10 years old... Maybe that's how long floppies last who knows.. Or should I move them to a different location...

Re: Old  5 1/4 drives...

i know a boatload of my floppy have gone bad, i still use them but i mkae sure they are fresh, anything i want permanently is on the hard drive or a CD.

Re: Old *5 1/4 drives...

I thought the drawer I had them in might have been the best place to keep my floppies.... It's kinda sad to see that they are all going bad... I had TONS of floppies... Oh well... Hey Pharris... While I was looking at my floppies I remembered the thing with the high and low density floppies.... Did the floppies company do that just to get more money becuase all you had to do is to punch an extra hole..... Or what was the deal with that?

I thought the drawer I had them in might have been the best place to keep my floppies.... It's kinda sad to see that they are all going bad... I had TONS of floppies... Oh well... Hey Pharris... While I was looking at my floppies I remembered the thing with the high and low density floppies.... Did the floppies company do that just to get more money becuase all you had to do is to punch an extra hole..... Or what was the deal with that?
    You must be young to computers. Let me tell you how these ancient early 90's devices worked. Yes you could punch holes in floppies to make them hold more. No it wasn't recommended. Why? Because the magnetic crap on the lower capacity disks was coarser. Punching a hole in the disk caused the disk drive to record at a higher capacity than the disk was made for. Usually it would work but the data would fade away faster making it less reliable. I wouldn't store important data on them. (I probably wouldn't on a floppy anyway but more so on one formatted higher than it should be.)

I couldn't even give my old 5 1/4 floppy drive away. What is this world coming to?

Good Guru

I have some 51/4 floppies here with my College-day info on them..... :

I've still got loads of 5 1/4" diskettes kicking around. I just can't seem to throw them out.

Also have 2 or 3 of the floppy drives in my pc parts closet.

You must be young to computers.
    When did you get your first computer and what was it?

When did you get your first computer and what was it?
    First, let me explain what I meant to say. You must be new to knowing computers well. You may have used them a little back in the day, but I doubt much.

With that said, I got my first computer when I was 7 (13 years ago). It was a Tandy Color Computer 3. All you could do on it was program in Basic and get rom cartridges, so I learned to program. I got my first IBM compatible PC when I was 10. It was a 386. That's when I learned Dos. Oh how sweet the old days were.