Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on marrige?

Re: Your opinion on marrige?

I am aghast there are people (in a westernised socity) who could still think that it a mans duty to "keep" his wife, and even more shocked that some women think that they sould be kept while she works, and not pay anything towards joint bills, etc.

I feel like I should rant, but I am simply too lost for words, except perhaps to say, selfish bitch.

Shocking, positively shocking.

I am aghast there are people (in a westernised socity) who could still think that it a mans duty to "keep" his wife, and even more shocked that some women think that they sould be kept while she works, and not pay anything towards joint bills, etc.

I feel like I should rant, but I am simply too lost for words, except perhaps to say, selfish bitch.

Shocking, positively shocking.
    hehe, atleast it's not like Pakistan or Iran or any number of middle east countries... where women are stoned becuase they arn't wearing a viel... or a woman's eye contact with a guy is consent to rape.....

Re: Your opinion on marriage?

It would seem like your friend only wants a pimp or something like that.

I recommend Ralinx.
    first of all: i'm against marriage. i'll never do it and i'm very serious about that. i draw the line at monogamous relationships (those are really a challenge for me)

secondly, if i ever am able to be in a long-lasting relationship and i would be living with my girlfriend then i would want her to work. i don't want kids so staying home everyday or spending my money all day is out of the question. a relationship is a partnership. a partnership where each partner has a 50% stake. she'll do parts of the housework, but so will i. i'll work, but so will she, etc...

joint bills
    those are the worst!

ive been married 14 years, and heres my 0.02
    dont listen to what anyone says should be or shouldnt be.
    its your marriage its your joint decision - make it up as you go-
    thats what should be, imho. i wish my wife would work, but shhe dont want to, and part of marriage is
    compromise and taking the good with the bad, for better or worst, love
    friendship and compromise is what makes a long term marriage.

ive been married 14 years, and heres my 0.02
    its your marriage its your joint decision - make it up as you go-
    thats what should be, imho. i wish my wife would work, but shhe dont want to, and part of marriage is
    I agree ... but 'roles' are there for the reason of helping out. Archtype of sorts.

I have to say that I am dumbfounded by your coworker and those who agreed with her. This question has nothing to do with marriage either, IMHO. I am glad that Sandra Day O'Connor, Margaret Thatcher, Madam Curie & Christa McAuliffe, to name a very tiny handful, did not agree that it was a man's job to keep a woman and pay her bills. Strong, intelligent & capable women can have just as profound effects on the good of entire societies as they can on the lives of their children.
    As for your coworker and those who agreed with her, it sounds as if they are living under a rock, rather than in a small town. They do have these new inventions called libraries, you know. Believe me, these comments did not insult the state of your marriage, but tell worlds about the state of the minds of your coworkers.
    And thanks to all of the real women out there who show us the TRUE power, beauty and strength of the fairer of the species.

ive been married 14 years, and *heres my 0.02
    its your marriage its your joint decision *- make it up as you go-
    Most sensible thing said here. I've been married nearly 30yrs., and if I've learned anything it's that marriage is not a state that you obtain but a continuing process. To succeed, it takes commitment to the process by both spouses.

I've been married just over 7 years now and , to be honest, there have been many times when I wished I'd never done it. But there've been many more times when I've been very happy to be married and have a family.

As far as the woman staying home and man keeping her question is concerned, I think that's pure BS. No way in hell would I have married my wife if she took that attitude. Marraige should consist of two equal partners with no sex distinctions. We both know we have to pay the bills, we both know that the kids have to be taken care of, we both know that housework isn't going away anytime soon and we both take of these things together.

jmcook, that "woman" you were arguing with must have been about 16 years old to actually take that idea seriously.

I've been married for 34 years. My wife is unable to work (She has MS). I'm of two opinions on a wife working. We raised 4 kids, and by anybodys standard, that's a full time job, so I don't think that I would have wanted my wife working anyway. However, I also feel that the extra income she would have earned could have made things better for my family, so really, I'm up in the air about this, and I would think that it's a matter for the individual couples to sort out. I DO think that the old "Kurch, Kinder, Kitchen" mentality was wrong. The two people in a marrage are equal, and have an equal share in the responsibility and the benefits.