Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see you figure this out

Re: Let's see you figure this out

I would explain how to do this now, but I'm too tired, I'll probably do it tomorrow afternoon. would someone at least TRY?? like Feztaa, since you're so smart?

God, is this supposed to be intellectually stimulating? This question is pure gruntwork, no thinking involved. As to your challenge for me to prove myself on this question, I have nothing to prove to you. One of the perks of having written my Chemistry diploma exam is that I never have to answer another chemistry question again, or at least until I get into university.

God, is this supposed to be intellectually stimulating? This question is pure gruntwork, no thinking involved. As to your challenge for me to prove myself on this question, I have nothing to prove to you. One of the perks of having written my Chemistry diploma exam is that I never have to answer another chemistry question again, or at least until I get into university.
    sorry, I guess you're just too smart for me!! <g>

anyway, this is how you solve it:

465mL cof. x 2.6mLC12 H22 O11/100mL cof. x 1.63gC12 H22 O11/1mL C12 H22 O11 x 1 mol. C12 H22 O11/342.34g C12 H22 O11 x 12 mol. C/1 mol C12 H22 O11 x 6.02x10^23 atoms C/1 mol. C x 6 protons/1 atom C

and it all equals.... 2.5x10^23(or 24, one of them)

the way it works... you put number, unit, name for each, and you cancel the units. eg/ the mL cof. cancel each other out because one's the numerator and one's the denominator. You just keep on going through the problem until all the units are cancelled.

Anyone know if there's a name for that way of solving problems?

Being a dope and explaining what it means to 'cancel units' when stoichiometry works just as well?

Sorry if I'm being rude, I'm just generally not impressed. When I get some time later I'll post some of the q's from my diploma exam and we'll see what you think of them (I'm not asking you to solve it, that would be hypocritical, I'm merely asking you to read them).

Being a dope and explaining what it means to 'cancel units' when stoichiometry works just as well?

Sorry if I'm being rude, I'm just generally not impressed. When I get some time later I'll post some of the q's from my diploma exam and we'll see what you think of them (I'm not asking you to solve it, that would be hypocritical, I'm merely asking you to read them).
    as I tried to say in the other thread, I never meant to try and make myself look better or anything with this, just thought someone would find it challenging. guess not though...

as I tried to say in the other thread, I never meant to try and make myself look better or anything with this, just thought someone would find it challenging. guess not though...
    I thought was a good question and if I had more time I'd would of given it a shot. Some of us only did Chem up to High school level and this would have been a good "let's see how much I remember" question, even if it did end up to be grunt work.

Well, if you want some Chem to chew on, how about this?

1. The combustion of sugar in a bomb calorimeter is similar to the oxidation of sugar in the body. A student ate three sugar cubes, with masses of 6.84 g, 6.75 g, and 6.79 g.

a) Calculate the overall molar enthalpy of oxidation of sugar, C12H22O11, in the body.

b) Using these three sugar cubes as representative of regular-sized cubes, determine the amount of energy released by an average-sized cube.

c) Draw and label a potential energy diagram representing the molar enthalpy of oxidation of sugar in the body.
    Just a basic q from the diploma exam. Enjoy!

Well, if you want some Chem to chew on, how about this?

Just a basic q from the diploma exam. Enjoy!

well, that looks REAL simple... seeing as I don't know what half of those words mean

This question is so simple! First, you just take the equation for the combustion of sugar, then apply hess's law to it. You do have your data booklet, don't you? That fills in all the blanks with regards to the numbers you're missing from hess's equation. Then just cancel the units and you're done! (for question A anyway)

;D

Feztaa, at first I thought your ego was just a joke, but I'm starting to wonder...