Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Judge: Microsoft must give states Windows code

Re: Judge: Microsoft must give states Windows code

coltrane: XP and 2K never crashed on me. No blue screen. Haven't used them much though, but they never crashed. But I do recall using SysRq

Ok, so they don't crash as often. Does that make them good? No.

Ok, so they don't crash as often. Does that make them good? No.
    Based on what?

Win 2000 is extremely stable for me. I havenīt had a crash/BSOD since I figured out how to solve my hardware problems. Itīs the best desktop OS I have ever used.

I don't like Win 2k and XP because they aren't exactly known for being secure (of course you could patch it all the time, and that does work for most people, but there are always those people who continually fail to do it and they end up passing major viruses on to businesses and crippling them).

I don't think it would benefit anyone to use the Microsoft code to produce anything for Linux. Can anyone say "lawsuit"?

XP: I know MSCEs and NT Admins that tell me to stay away from XP. Anything that needs 128MB standard.....

2000: Ran it dual boot with Suse 7.1. Worked well for about 4, maybe 6 months, then all hell broke loose. It BSOD once, and hasnt been the same since. Once SuSe 7.3 came out Format Road (all linux).

Office: One of the best office apps out there. A port to Linux is a good thing.

Release the hounds!! umm i mean code

XP: I know MSCEs and NT Admins that tell me to stay away from XP. Anything that needs 128MB standard.....
    Apple's OS X needs 128MB standard to do anything well...and 128MB would probably work better with Linux than 64MB.

Actually, I do. I just had my AbiWord crashed on me and everything I've written for half hour is gone.... > . At least I can recover in Windows with Office. :
    try OpenOffice they have a recovery feature.. so if it crashes the document gets still saved ...

I hate to admit it but I'm an MCSE...yeah, I've been called them all...go ahead and laugh...Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert...anyway, Win2k and XP are stable, but that does not mean they are secure. You will get blisters patching any M$ operating system. I would love to see ports of all decent windows software(and I think we soon will). Although I'm an MCSE, I'm not a big fan of M$...that said, I don't agree with the judge's decision. I totally support open source, but I think a person or company has every right to keep their code private.

IMNSHO, definitely not!
    I agree...