Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruitment - would you join?

Recruitment - would you join?

ok, as some of you may or may not know, I'm in sea cadets. my corps right now is WAY down in numbers, so we're going on a recruitment campaign, and one of my parts is to do a little speech at my local church.

so what I'd like to know from anyone here... if you were or are in your early teens and heard this, would you think about joining?

here it is:

Travel. Sailing. Sports. Leadership. Money. I'm sure some if not all of you are interested in one or all of the above. These are just some of the opportunities available to all youth in the Canadian Cadet Movement.
    My name is David Vessey. I'd like to talk to you a little bit about the local Sea Cadet corps, RCSCC Blueheron.
    This is now my fourth year in Sea Cadets, I now hold the rank of Petty Officer Second Class and the position of Drum Major. I'm also the most senior cadet on the shooting and biathlon teams.
    In my years as a cadet, I've been on an exchange to Newfoundland, a three week band camp in Nova Scotia, several March Break trips to Halifax, several trips to New Brunswick for an annual band and drill competition, as well as a week long trip to Canmore, Alberta, to compete in the National Cadet Biathlon Championship. All of these off island trips have cost me nothing but time, and for the band camp, I even received a training bonus of $60 per week!
    These are only the opportunities I've taken advantage of. There's also the possibility to travel to British Columbia for summer camp(and still receive training bonuses), go on International Exchanges, and also to go on Ship cruises.
    There are many other opportunities besides travel. You can get Canadian Yachting Association sailing levels at the corps level or at camp, you can learn everything from how to read music to how to conduct a band, you can learn field gun drill, and a variety of other skills.
    At the corps level, you'll be taught all the basics you need, including drill, seamanship(which include knots, rigging boats, etc.), naval history, and leadership among many others. There is then the opportunity to go to camp and specialize in a certain area.
    Contrary to what I may have led you to beleive, being a cadet does not require a big commitment, however, as with many things, you get out of it what you choose to put in.
    To anyone interested, I would like to invite you to the open house we're having on March 5th, from 7pm until 9pm, at the Cymbria Lion's Club. Please come to learn and see more on "what we're all about". There are pamphlets available at the back of the church if you'd like to pick one up for more information.

Re: Recruitment - would you join?

I think that is a fine speech. If I lived in Canada and knew a bit more about what it is the orginization does I would modt def think about it.

I wouldn't.

Good Guru

I wouldn't.
    You CHICKEN !!

:P ;D

Sounds interesting, though I wouldn't join because I'd rather be coding.

What is the Candian Cadet Movement? That sounds scary like Bill Clinton and Al Gore being together forever.

David. if you did that to me, I would probably laugh my ass off and then die a happy man.

This would of course require me to actually attend a church?

I'm sorry d00d, but it's just as lame as me spending every single free moment in school trying to convert our Syadmin to the path of enlightment.

Sounds interesting, though I wouldn't join because I'd rather be coding.
    Agreed!

just as lame as me spending every single free moment in school trying to convert our Syadmin to the path of enlightment.
    That is not lame, it is a noble struggle.

phpgeek: Hell, if you get paid for sailing I'll join! (I asume the cadets would pay for my transportation. A ticket from Leeds and Bradford airport will do nicely, or I could get to Heathrow if that's easier. ;D)

Sea cadets? no thanks. I did 6 years in the Navy, and I work on Aegis Destroyers now. I have seen enough of the sea for me thanks. Been through the Panama canal 6 times, crossed the equator twice (I am a shellback), been through the straits of Gibraltar, yada yada yada, etc.