Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Opinions wanted
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

Opinions wanted

Ok, Im thinking of starting a small home-based computer repair and small business networking business on the side. I already do some computer repair from the house/garage, and this would give me a tax break, allow me to write off some power, my new puter ;D, some phone time, and mileage on the car. God willing, it would gain in the mean time and might actually turn into a profit making biz. Now, for my target area, I live on the Mississippi gulf coast (just west of the Pascagoula area for all you Ray Stevens fans). There are some computer stores in the area, most are on the expensive side. I plan to travel to the customers house when possible (convenience for them, cash for me ), and order all parts on an as needed basis to keep initial costs down. Any opinions are recommendations?

Re: Opinions wanted

Ok, Im thinking of starting a small home-based computer repair and small business networking business on the side. I already do some computer repair from the house/garage, and this would give me a tax break, allow me to write off some power, my new puter ;D, some phone time, and mileage on the car. God willing, it would gain in the mean time and might actually turn into a profit making biz. Now, for my target area, I live on the Mississippi gulf coast (just west of the Pascagoula area for all you Ray Stevens fans). There are some computer stores in the area, most are on the expensive side. I plan to travel to the customers house when possible (convenience for them, cash for me ), and order all parts on an as needed basis to keep initial costs down. Any opinions are recommendations?
    Been there, tried that, flopped horribly. It's getting to the point where you have to shave off the labor costs to compete with the parts costs/warrenties that other places can offer. Basically you starve your self just to get buisness. Better market in fixing cars IMHO

Mentor

Mountainman, don't do it!

I've tried, couldn't wait to get out of it! People will be calling you left and right at nights and weekends with the stupidest problems. It gets old really fast, and you'll be spending a lot of time on the road travelling to and from your customers.

Then when you order parts, you find out that it's not compatible with your customer's computer, have to order another one and eat the cost. (I still have a bunch of parts laying around that I wasn't able to use, and now they are obsolete). Also a lot parts will arrive DOA, it's a hassle to send them back and get a new one, while you have to kepp your customer waiting.

My advice to you: try to find another business to get into.

Don't just don't !!!

That bad, ehh. That sucks. Might just try the networking thing then. A bud of mine made 30k last year part time installng networks on his own.

That bad, ehh. That sucks. Might just try the networking thing then. A bud of mine made 30k last year part time installng networks on his own.
    yes, networks are better, as you truly get payed for your labor.

Be wary though, you need permits and licenses to go running wire in crawlspaces and false celings... don't want to get caught, it's like a $500 offence the first time....

Mentor

Mountiaman , i was thinking of doing the same thing in NJ but i dont want to spend all my spare time to make no money ans have people call at all times of the day with crap like " my tool bar is gone!!!" i'd comit suicide!!!

I could handle the networking part, i could even run the wires and fish them thru the walls and install the jacks the whole nine yards, oh well , maybe one day i'll get the confidence to start up !!!

Be wary though, you need permits and licenses to go running wire in crawlspaces and false celings... don't want to get caught, it's like a $500 offence the first time....
    What!? Tell me you're kidding! We've got like 100ft of cat5 cable running the length of my basement, from my computer, all the way upstairs to dad's computer!

What!? Tell me you're kidding! We've got like 100ft of cat5 cable running the length of my basement, from my computer, all the way upstairs to dad's computer!
    the law here is california - every state is different- is you need a contractors liscense
    if you charge $300 or over per job. you didnt charge your dad anything I hope, let alone $300 or over, right? so no worries.
    <<one way around this law is to break big jobs into several separate $299 and under jobs.>>

Mentor

I forgot the worst part:

Once your family and friends find out what you're doing, they won't leave you alone any more. Every time you meet them they will start the "My computer is doing this and that how do i fix it?" type of questions, then they expect you to go over and fix it for them. It' been over two years since I totally gave up on this business, but I'm still being haunted by family and friends.