Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Opinions wanted - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

Re: Opinions wanted

the law here is california - every state is different- is you need a contractors liscense
    if you charge $300 or over per job. you didnt charge your dad anything I hope, let alone $300 or over, right? so no worries.
    <<one way around this law is to break big jobs into several separate $299 and under jobs.>>
    Here in WA, it doesn't matter HOW much you charge. You run something that is against code, and running cat5 in a false roof, or through walls without fire sealing it, is against code. $500 on the spot....

Im working on improving my skillsets so I can get into that......need a home network, perhaps a fileserver for the family, need a small network at the office but you dont want to pay out the wazoo for gear?

124 Computing Solutions
    "specializing in IT solutions for homes and small businesses"

did i mention that all solutions are Linux based?

That bad, ehh. That sucks. Might just try the networking thing then. A bud of mine made 30k last year part time installng networks on his own.
    Networking is actully pretty good. I did it for about a year and it was fun and got good money from it. The only downside is that while your at a place a lot of suits like to pester you with little 'Can you look at this for me' questions which they are not allowed to ask the in house techies about.

I forgot the worst part:

Once your family and friends find out what you're doing, they won't leave you alone any more. Every time you meet them they will start the "My computer is doing this and that how do i fix it?" type of questions, then they expect you to go over and fix it for them. It' been over two years since I totally gave up on this business, but I'm still being haunted by family and friends.

I made that mistake once... now people won't leave me alone...... and do they pay me..... NO FREAKIN' WAY !
    Worst part is that they ask me to fix..... Windows PCs..... with moronic errors like....

Him: My printer won't work...
    Me: goes halfway though town to discover that he forgot to remove the protective plastic from the ink carton.
    Him: Thanks, now get out of my house freak !

Networking is actully pretty good. I did it for about a year and it was fun and got good money from it. The only downside is that while your at a place a lot of suits like to pester you with little 'Can you look at this for me' questions which they are not allowed to ask the in house techies about.
    and 'How do I clear my history?' *

....and I HATE that!!!

if I get another "clear history" question, Im going to start using WindowsXP

(translation: "if I get another "clear history" question, Im going to scream uncontrollably in agony&quot

Right now its to the point that people dont call me to "see how Im doing", the minute I answer the phone its like, "I have a problem with my computer"

grrrrrr

Good Guru

You guys seems can't handle some tricks ....

Break theirs intentionally and tell them that you no longer know what to do with it and they need to upgrade their hardware to work. They will leave you alone after a while...... ;D

Good Guru

We've got like 100ft of cat5 cable running the length of my basement, from my computer, all the way upstairs to dad's computer!
    It's your freaking house so you can do whatever you want with it as long as you are not breaking the building codes. I mean what in the world you will be breaking the building codes if you are just installing the wires?? I have about four wires going to my upstair bedrooms of mine from my downstair computer (servers) area.

But if you are doing it for the money thus doing a business, then of course you need the license to do it. Some states required that you purchase the cables that are fire-proof insulated. Mostly is to prevent from starting fire and all that stuff. It's about the only reason of I know why you need a license to do it. Some businesses will not hire your company if you do not have proper license or you do not carry enough insurance to cover the loss.

But for your side business Mountainman, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can do the majority of the stuff yourself and then sub-contract that jobs that required some license to those who do it regularly. That's how we did it with a few of my friends some months ago until we fold due to that he moved to Virginia with his wife's job.

I have a few friends that are housing contractors. I think I will ask them where to find out about the building codes for this area and what is required to run non-current carrying type wire. I am gonna hafta brush up on (sigh) windows stuff.
    <funny thing> I was playing around yesterday on the network here at work, trying to find a connectivity prob a friend was having. So I sit down, finally get a friggin dos prompt on a 2k box (which also sucks) and start changing directories. I go to list the files and type in ls instead of dir. I did that like 4 times. Can you tell which one I use more?

Good Guru

So I sit down, finally get a friggin dos prompt on a 2k box (which also sucks) and start changing directories. *I go to list the files and type in ls instead of dir. *I did that like 4 times. *Can you tell which one I use more?
    Welcome to the real world.. Happen all the time here... ;D

Yeah you know, before you know it, you start typing all the ls -a and ls -l into DOS Prompt.... and wonder what is wrong with DOS thing....