Thread: Cable or Satellite?

Mentor

Cable or Satellite?

I have Time Warner cable right now and paying $52/month for basic service. I just think it's too high. Would I be better off buying a satellite dish, get basic programming and local channels?

Re: Cable or Satellite?

Satellite can be a good deal, but you have to be ready for weird charges. A few friends of mine have satellite and enjoy it for about 40$ for the same amount of channels as cabel (which in this area is about 40$ as well). The downside is the purchasing of dish(es) and dealign with their customer service. With cable you can cut it for 3 months while your gone and then reget it when you come back. With a lot of satellite services that isn't allowed (you must go on a 10$ a month vacation fee).

Directv offers the 25 most popular channels for a little over $20 a month. That's a good deal for me since I only watch like 3 channels anyway.

Good Guru

I pay nothing for the basic cable TV since I have cable Internet .... :-X

I think cable receptions are better than those of satellite ( although all TV broadcasting are via Satellite one way or the other ). I never liked those little dishes ..... You can ask for the service level of cables. At least here with AT&T, there is like basic, expended basic, Standard Cable, Cable plus and a few more options... I don't usually watch them though so whatever I get with my Internet service is good enough.....

Good Guru

Satellite is pretty cool, but the one drawback I have with it is the fact that the signal is easily corrupted by atmospheric anomalies. Storms wreak havoc on the signal. I was watching a WWF PPV at a friends hous that had satellite. During the storm that of course had to kick in right as it started, we would get royal interruptions during each lightning strike. Snow isnt their best friend either.

If you rarely get snow or lightning, get it. Other than that it really can blow CATV out of the water.

Mentor

I live in Florida, so snow is not a problem. ;D However lightning IS a big problem. It storms almost every day in the summertime.

Another thing: with a satellite dish can I have more than one TV hooked up to the receiver and watch different programs at the same time? Or do I need a receiver for every single TV in the house? That would get mighty expensive...

You'd need a decoder for each room but not dish

Mentor

You'd need a decoder for each room but not dish
    In that case - considering that I have 4 TVs and 2 VCRs in the house - I think I'm just gonna stick with the cable.

Kind Mastermind

In that case - considering that I have 4 TVs and 2 VCRs in the house - I think I'm just gonna stick with the cable.
    Wow, 4 tv's. I am lucky that I even have one (my wife is not big on technology, I guess), let alone four! If I had that many tv's, I'd have CNN on all the time!

Just bear in mind that you're supposed to pay extra for additional tv's hooked to cable in the house. In other words, don't let the cable man see the splitter.