Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whoa, am I dreaming?

Whoa, am I dreaming?

There's a question on my calculus homework that actually took me more than a couple minutes to solve! It was the first hard one I've ever seen! I'm blown away

Anyway, solving it was sooo much fun. I think this officially qualifies as the first homework question I've ever enjoyed solving in 12 years.

/me is feeling very satisfied...

(btw, if you're interested, the question was to derive the quotient rule from first principles. There were exactly two people in the class who even attempted it, one being me ;D)

Re: Whoa, am I dreaming?

Shut up, and stop showning off already.... we get it... you're smart... OK !!

Yeah, pretty much is getting annoyed. And if you're so good in maths, why don't you dump Perl and learn a functionnal language (Haskell, Erlang, ML, etc.) which are more mathematical than imperative languages. For example, you can only loop with recursion, you may not change the value of a variable, etc.

Advisor

learn a functionnal language (Haskell, Erlang, ML, etc.) which are more mathematical than imperative languages. For example, you can only loop with recursion, you may not change the value of a variable, etc.
    Well in ML you can change the value of a variable, but it is a bit complicated, starting with defining the variable outside any function as beeing a refference to a instance of its own type.. To make a long explanation short, dont do it..

Well in ML you can change the value of a variable, but it is a bit complicated, starting with defining the variable outside any function as beeing a refference to a instance of its own type.. *To make a long explanation short, dont do it..
    Yeah, I know.

Code:
    let _ =
     let a = ref 0 in
     a := !a + 10;
     Printf.printf "%d\n" a
    But since this is more unreadable, and more difficult, it's better to try to think of another way to do something.

Perhaps he/she is not really smart. Maybe its all show. You know how a guy talks about the size of his penis alot, it usually means its small? Same situation here, I believe.

Mentor

: :

Learn a man's language like assembler or fortran.

Perhaps he/she is not really smart. Maybe its all show. You know how a guy talks about the size of his penis alot, it usually means its small? Same situation here, I believe.
    Think what you will. I have nothing to prove.

I have nothing to prove.
    Why then must you always go "I'm just so intelligent, and all these homeworks are so dumb and insulting" ? If you have truly nothing to prove, don't say a word about them.