Thread: non-linux: installing 98 after 2k

non-linux: installing 98 after 2k

ok.. here's the problem. I installed win2k first on the family comp(on the second partition). anyhow, now my little bro wants to install 98 on the first partition, which is empty at the moment, but once he does, how do we boot win2k? I know if you install 98 then 2k, it'll make a little boot loader thing for you.

anyone have any idea?

thanks!

Good Guru

Re: non-linux: installing 98 after 2k

Why don't you post in Off-topic if this isn't about Linux tech support??

Besides that....

Microsoft said that Win98 should install before you installed Win2k on it. Because Win2K support multiple booting ( and I am not sure about Win98 will support it ), you might have some trouble getting Win2k boot loader ( NTLDR ) seeing from BIOS once you installed Win98 loader.

I guess also if you save boot.ini and ntldr from your first HDD ( no matter where you installed your WIn2K, those two files will go to Primary partition of primary HDD ) to floppy, and then re-copy it after you install Win98, that might as well work ( this is from the guess. I've no hands on with this type of set up. )

So my suggesting is that save all your data off of Win2K and try to install Win98. Expect to loose Win2K if it is not work though.

Kind Mastermind

Why don't you post in Off-topic if this isn't about Linux tech support??

Besides that....

Microsoft said that Win98 should install before you installed Win2k on it. Because Win2K support multiple booting ( and I am not sure about Win98 will support it ), you might have some trouble getting Win2k boot loader ( NTLDR ) seeing from BIOS once you installed Win98 loader.

I guess also if you save boot.ini and ntldr from your first HDD ( no matter where you installed your WIn2K, those two files will go to Primary partition of primary HDD ) to floppy, and then re-copy it after you install Win98, that might as well work ( this is from the guess. I've no hands on with this type of set up. )

So my suggesting is that save all your data off of Win2K and try to install Win98. Expect to loose Win2K if it is not work though.
    Compunuts is correct, you must install win98 first. I don't think copying the boot loader stuff will work, but give it a shot. Make sure that you have win2k backed up, because I think that you will have a wild ride. Windows is not to easy going when it comes to playing with ntldr and such. Good luck, though.

You are gonna have problems if that first partition wasn't visible when you installed 2k - the system root would then be at d: instead of c:, so that may cause problems too.

Either way, install 98, then boot with the win2k setup and repair the installation - should work well enough to just fix the boot loader.

You are gonna have problems if that first partition wasn't visible when you installed 2k - the system root would then be at d: instead of c:, so that may cause problems too.

Either way, install 98, then boot with the win2k setup and repair the installation - should work well enough to just fix the boot loader.
    yep, that's what I(or what I told/let my little brother) did. everything's working fine now