Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

College students?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College students?

Hybrid View

College students?

I'm just curious as to who here are all attending some university or college or other such higher learning institution.

I myself am studying for a Computer Science major at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Their curriculum is much nicer than I had anticipated before I came here. It's my second year here and I'm actually enjoying some of my classes (in particular and with no surprise, my CS classes are the classes I enjoy the most.) This semester I'm taking a course called Programming Languages, where we learn the very fundamentals of how programming languages work, what they are, how a parser works and how to write one (I've already written a few for the class), how to take the results of a parser (called an abstract syntax tree) and figure out what you're supposed to do with the parsed data. The professor that I have for the class absolutely incredible. It almost seems like engaging the students in the course is second nature to him.

The other CS course I'm taking is an Artificial Intelligence course. It covers a large range of topics in the area of AI (very few of which could be considered to be moving in the direction of "intelligence&quot, including informed (heuristic) and uninformed searches, expert systems, decision trees, neural networks, etc. The professor is pretty funny, but isn't quite as experienced in teaching as my professor in Programming Languages.

So how about you guys? So where do/did you go? What did you study? Did the curriculum meet or beat the expectations you had before you went there?

Good Guru

Re: College students?

I used to study at City College of San Francisco. When I was in College, computers weren't that popular ( yet before the tech boom ) and studied Electrical Engineering. Then while transfering to 4 year University, I got lost in the job boom, quit the Uni and go to work. Now with the downturn in the tech sector, I'm studying (again) at De Anza College for Network Administration. Since Technology is my favorite thing, I like all of my classes. I studied LAN, WAN, Programming in C (Intro), Unix, TCP/IP, Data Communication, Disk drives management. This coming quarter, I will be taking C programming ( Intermediate ), Perl, Operating systems concepts and design and Windows 2000 technical support.

Schools are good ( that's if you have time and money to go to ). I never bore learning anything new. They all are interesting in their own ways and always challenge my knowledge.

I am majoring in Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Connecticut. *This is my second year. *I am currently taking Physics, Differential Equations, Discrete Math, and Computer Architecture. *So far I have taken:

Calculus I, II, III
    English, History, Anthropology, Philosophy
    Applied Mechanics
    Chemistry
    Introduction to Computing
    Computing
    Digital Logic
    Digital Design Laboratory

Email me and I'll give you the rest of the curriculum

I'm on second semester of my Information and Communications Technology Engineering study at the wonderful, but totally backwards Aarhus Engineering College.

So 1 down, 6 to go... ahh.

I have topics such as:
    Datacommunications, Digital Signal Processing, C++ programming and Assembler Programming for the 80386 in realmode (and basic CPU design).

Later on we will get courses in Java (or C#, which ever the school decides on) and Win 32 API programming in C++. Also we can choose to have courses in stuff like Advanced Networking and design, Embedded Linux, Graphics (what ever that means... ) and more neat stuff.

I go to the University of Central Florida. Last time I looked we were ranked 21 in the world for CS and tied with MIT for best CS within the States. We start out in our first class (CS I) learning and coding Java. The first few assignments can be written in C, C++, perl, Java, or Fortran77. They assume you know at least one befire becoming a freshman (and you are still required to take a class on at least one language ....). Most of the CS profesors use some form of Unix and the head of CS department who is very cool (he just had a book translated into 15 diffrent languages and is a regualr in IEEE books) refuses to use anything but Unix and it's varients. He's European which automatically makes him very cool, not to mention he is big into nerual networks and other cool stuff like that.

Oh yeah, and we have lots of weird projects that students are not allowed to know about. Lots of research projects from the government are worked on in the CREOL building. We also have labs full of Sun UltraSPARCs and grad students can play with SGI's, Alphas, UltraSPARC's and other fun stuff.

Ashcrow, Taeshadow, does this happen at your institutions? *We have a Data Structures class, and only about 30% of all students actually get past this. *All the upper level CS course have this as a prerequisite. *It's the filter class. *If a person doesn't get through that class, they most likely won't be getting a CS major or minor. *I have been told that CS has some of the most difficult classes on our campus.

Ashcrow, I have to honestly admit that I'm a tad jealous. Sounds like a very nice institution. Any research projects we have are done either by our professors with a few students or just the students. Currently, I'm working with a few other students on creating a cluster from a bunch of donated parts. If we get it into a stable state, we'll be getting more computers from our CS department, as well as a bigger room.

Our CS Club also attends a number of contests and conferences out here in the Midwest US. We also host quite a number of contests of our own.

Ashcrow, Taeshadow, does this happen at your institutions? We have a Data Structures class, and only about 30% of all students actually get past this. All the upper level CS course have this as a prerequisite. It's the filter class. If a person doesn't get through that class, they most likely won't be getting a CS major or minor. I have been told that CS has some of the most difficult classes on our campus.
    Yes. Our discrete class has been turned into a filter class by making it unnecessary hard and only allowing us to use certian laws and what not. CS has the hardest classes on campus AFAIK. Not only tha, but we are required to take Biology Majors Bio I and II, at least 2 physics majors Physics courses, and anoying speaking classes which are not hard but are, well, anoying!

2 year Criminal justice graduate who just got a call from our local PD for a community service officer job.

anyone here go to college in the SUNY system? It'd be cool to see how many of us are in "the system"
    I'm at SUNY Plattsburgh.