Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IPv6!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPv6!

IPv6!

I've been going through hell for the past few days trying to get it working, but finally I'm on the 6Bone! Not only that, but I have over 18 quintillion static IP addresses to use at my disposal. [smiles] At last I will be able to point my domain name to my home computer. Welcome to the future. Does anyone else use IPv6? The 6Bone is pretty small now but I have a feeling it'll be growing exponentially in the next few years until it takes over. I better go to sleep before I collapse.

Re: IPv6!

I would like to go "IPv6" but I'm afraid my ISP doesn't support it.

Good Guru

No ISP currently support IPv6 yet. All the IPv6 have to go through IPv4 but they have some translation implemented. You can sign up for IPv6 ( for research purpose ). Do a google search and you will see it.

Check out www.freenet6.net. You can get a /48 subnet (that's around 10^29) for free.

If I recall correctly all ISP' in DK are required to switch to IPv6 next year, by law none the less.

Good Guru

But next year is not now. ;D

But next year is not now. ;D
    I know... and my server has IPv6 support in kernel and as soon as we get the time it will go IPv6.

I would love IPv6 to be default, if not only because it's requires us all to use IPsec (which I already use, and have in kernel, FreeSWAN none the less)

Good Guru

With the slow down in economy worldwide and the number of connected computers worldwide not being in pace with expectations, I see no need to rush it into IPv6 implementation.

You will most likely see IPv6 networks and IPv4 networks in parallel with bridging at routers level. In fact, that was the plan from the beginning. It would be a nightmare to require all companies to buy all new routers worldwide.

As I've read, the United States is going to have the hardest time switching. We have the most IPv4 equipment set up. Europe will probably have IPv6 up before us. I would be pleasantly surprised if IPv6 even made it to the big ISP's here in the next 2 or 3 years.

Yeah, I've heard all about this but never really read up on it. Any real good places to find out all the info on this IPv6?