Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Will Wireless Kill Linux on the Desktop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Wireless Kill Linux on the Desktop?

Will Wireless Kill Linux on the Desktop?

Especially since WiFi is becoming more popular as the cost drops to practically nothing in some cases after rebates.

Re:Will Wireless Kill Linux on the Desktop?

On Ubuntu, on my Dell Latitude D610, it is easier to configure unsecured or WEP secured wireless networks than it is under Windows.
    I think the wireless support has improved tenfold in the last few years.

Biggest thing thats going to kill Linux is cheap computers.

If someone can buy a computer for $300 dollars and get a new one every year or so w/ a new version of windows. People will quit tinkering w/ computers and they will be more like cars. Everyone can drive them, but not as many can work on them..

Good Guru

If anything it will make Linux more attractive.

Have you actually setup WiFi on Windows XP these days? The eternal battle of who controls the connection (MS or HW vendor). Constant drops for no reason... I take that back. MS blames Netgear/Linksys/My Grandma and all of them blame MS. Screw that. Gimme a friggin driver and I will be fine. Thanks. End of the BS. But nooooooo, this is MS's realm and like the commies they are must make life oh so fun for us gleeful, cheery, considerate, generous geek techs that try to fix a bud's PC for them.

I need a beer.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=10651;start=0#msg95678 date=1125122577]
    Have you actually setup WiFi on Windows XP these days?

I need a beer.
    [/quote]

Actually, I have wireless running on three Windows boxes (I'm embarrassed to say) and they work fine. I have not been able to get WiFi to work in Linux, although I managed to get Mandy 10.2 to recognize my TrendNet 54 Mbps USB adaptor. I was surprised to find a driver for it (zd1211 or something like that). But, I couldn't get the little bugger to connect to any networks, with or without security turned on.

As for beer, YES!

Good Guru

Well, there is niswapper out there which they claimed most WiFi card will work with Windows drivers.

There are work arounds exist. You just have to work on it extensively. Most hardware vendors refused to support Linux and most users don't do anything about it. They just go look for cheap card, bitch that they don't work and take that as it.

The last time I bought my printer from Brother, I sent them email requesting Linux support and didn't buy it until they came back with one. You gotta let those guys know that you will reward them with your money when you get what you want. But then again, Brother sells 500 bucks printers so they care but for someone who is making 20 bucks wireless card probably won't.

As for setting up WiFi card with Windows XP, I feel your pain. I HAD to fight to get my vendors card take over as the one which will control my card. Even then, Windows wireless monitor shows up in the task bar displaying the same info that my card vendor showing wasting the resources.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=10651;start=0#msg95694 date=1125246638]
    There are work arounds exist. You just have to work on it extensively. Most hardware vendors refused to support Linux and most users don't do anything about it. They just go look for cheap card, bitch that they don't work and take that as it.
    [/quote]

While I don't mind hacking away trying to get WiFi to work, your average soccer mom, grandpa, and backyard mechanic probably don't have the time or the inclination to spend hours, days, or even weeks getting WiFi to work in Linux. That's why I think unless Linux can make this real simple -- at least as simple as it is in Windows XP -- for at least 75 percent of the most popular wireless NICs, it's penetration on the desktop will remain moribund.

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=4;threadid=10651;start=0#msg95697 date=1125255056]
    [quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=10651;start=0#msg95694 date=1125246638]
    [/quote]

While I don't mind hacking away trying to get WiFi to work, your average soccer mom, grandpa, and backyard mechanic probably don't have the time or the inclination to spend hours, days, or even weeks getting WiFi to work in Linux. That's why I think unless Linux can make this real simple -- at least as simple as it is in Windows XP -- for at least 75 percent of the most popular wireless NICs, it's penetration on the desktop will remain moribund.
    [/quote]
    Your average soccer mom, grandpa and backyard mechanic cannot set up their own wireless connection, sometimes not even their own broadband or diali-up connection.
    They pay some guy like me $40-80 bucks to go to their place and set it up for them and not have to learn how to do it.

Yup, you're right. Some folks can barely turn their PCs on. I still think Linux needs to do a better job of supporting WiFi. I can remember compiling drivers from scratch for wired NICs. A year or so later, that misery (or challenge, depending on your disposition) went away because just about every wired NIC had a precompiled driver that just about every major Linux distro packaged. When WiFi support gets to that point, then the threat will go away.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=4;threadid=10651;start=0#msg95698 date=1125257096]
    Your average soccer mom, grandpa and backyard mechanic cannot set up their own wireless connection, sometimes not even their own broadband or diali-up connection.
    They pay some guy like me $40-80 bucks to go to their place and set it up for them and not have to learn how to do it.
    [/quote]
    I couldn't have said it any better myself.

With the NDISWRAPPER, we can use it to install it. I guess many major distros are just waiting to see if it catches on then they will bundle it with.