Thread: Why you want Linux - Or not

Mentor

Why you want Linux - Or not

First, a quick crash course for those who have heard of Linux but don't really know what it is. To start with, Linux is not Windows. If you go into it expecting to see something like Windows, you're going to be disappointed. Linux, as the name tries to imply, is a form of Unix, an operating system previously reserved mainly for server operations. Unlike most versions of Unix however, Linux has a huge amount of support from desktop programmers, and as a result it's quickly making it's way onto desktops, as well as being a major force in the server world.
    http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...&artid=525

Re: Why you want Linux - Or not

Not a bad article at all, pretty much tells it how it is.
    If I were transported back a couple of years and I read it, I think I would want to give this "linux" thing a try

i liked this article as well
    because of it, I think we should do more at this site in regards to helping newbies.

I suggest a roundtable on IRC or something like that. That, or make our IRC presence more known to the newguys of this site.

Just a thought

Sure, it's a nice article, if you don't feel that factual accuracy is that important :

I read this a couple years back..that's what made me give it a try
    http://www.spack.org/words/commandline.html

Sure, it's a nice article, if you don't feel that factual accuracy is that important *:
    I take it that means you think the text is seriously flawed? Whilst there are some technical errors (eg I'm not quite sure about the definition of GPL, and WINE is not an emulator), I don't think the article seriously misrepresents the Linux experience to the uninitiated.

I take it that means you think the text is seriously flawed? Whilst there are some technical errors (eg I'm not quite sure about the definition of GPL, and WINE is not an emulator), I don't think the article seriously misrepresents the Linux experience to the uninitiated.
    Yes, it was the GPL error I was referring to. I don't think that the article was too bad, but it really annoys me when authors don't research their facts before they publish.

For what it's worth, I try not to edit too heavily pure editorial on Linux Orbit when submitted by one of our users. Since this was an "opinions" piece, I let it slide. I have made a slight edit to improve the GPL section which I hope makes you a little more happy.

I have made a slight edit to improve the GPL section which I hope makes you a little more happy.
    Thank you