Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Your religion... - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Your religion...

Re:Your religion...

I believe it when people say that the Bible was written to help guide you in life with decisions, and i kinda agree, that it was written to help people think, mostly in metaphors that are not to be taken seriously, but along with it, comes actual history, but how are you to know if what they wrote about god and jesus and stuff was real, if anything is real. i think the Bible is possibly the greatest fiction book ever written to this date.

The Bible could have designed this image of a superior being(god) in your head to help guide you through your life. i dunno, i just believe thats what all this religion stuff is, but some people just take it incredibly too far, i think belief and religion is for self reflection. it should have never become organized in masses.

Never under estimate stupid people in large groups
    theres just so much stuff to write, question, and debate. but I'll just give a small piece of mind here and there. :P

Jeez, just saw the thread, and thought i'd add to it ;D

First, I'd like to add that its nice to see people actually debatein an INTELLIGENT and RESPECTABLE manner, don't see that much these days anymore

Anyway, personally I'm a Christian ... doesn't mean I'm the best one out there, and by no means do I practice everything I profess to believe in -- by no means am I perfect.

I see though that there are a few stereotypes going on however from peoples replies. First towards 'christians', in that yes, alot of times there are those wierdos out there that try to force you to believe what they believe or else (and sad to say, parents seem to fall under this category, but if you look back at it they only do so cuz they are doing what they think is best, IMHO). Then towards 'non-believers', that they are pagans and that they only go by the physical laws of the universe. Keep in mind i'm making some generalizations here.

Just a few questions now, that I always think bout, and which helped me choose which to believe/not take any stock in:

1) Prove creation over evolution (or vice versa). To me, its just as hard to believe either one, as you can't prove either (sorry, whomever posted the fruitfly/roach post, I dont know of any significant evidence on the matter).

2) If you can't see something (tangible characteristics), how can you prove it doesn't exist? ie. - I can't see this 'gravity', but i see it in action all the time ... someone says they feel 'the love of jesus in their life' and that helps them through their pain/suffering/problems .... dont see how you can rebut either points effects on a person

3) Here's something that I'm sure most everyone's heard, but still gets me to think: Suppose the whole God/Jesus (or for that matter any religious figures) didn't exist ... what does the christian loose? ... on the other hand, if all that stuff was real, what's the consequence for the person who choose not to have *faith* in it?

One last thing ... I know its human nature to seek absolute truth and discover why things work and all that good stuff, but I dont see how *faith* in something gets slammed so much. Science has theories on things, which to me is having *faith* that that is how something is, and then attempts to prove it ... its just along the same lines to me.

Anyway, I'm done rambling now

Good Guru

Bafalouk, I must say that you dont give yourself enough credit, assuming that you try to be a good person (and only you can attest to that). I refrained from responding to alot of the posts here due to the flagrant insult quite a few posts had towards religion. But, I felt I had to add this lillte tidbit. Bafalouk -- as long as you care, and try to do what you do in a good way, and atone for your sins that you will inevitably make, God will be more than happy.

now to a few of your Q's

1) Evolution is a great idea, hoever has NO facts to support it. In essence evolutionists are saying all life is from the same amoeba. It doesnt work. Its a theory that just needs the evidence.

2) You will see... its only a matter of time. God states that there are things that are incomprehenisble to the human mind. Accept what he says, and the rest will follow.

3) Thats an interesting one. Since my faith written in stone previous to my reading of the Bible, I have a hard time answering that one. I read the Bible by 17 (maybe 16). I read portions of the Torah, and Koran, a bit (really, not all that much -- mostly hearsay) about Hindu and other Asian religions. I read them not because I necessarlily beilieve %100 that that particular book is from a "proper" religion, but out of curiosity. Very interesting reads! Some are just against my beliefs. For example some native American and Asian religions feel that there are different gods for different things (Sun, Rain, Earth,Famine,War.....) that just like the Greek and Romans, were simple ways of simplifying things that were too dificult to understand. But WOW! Are they awesome stories! I feel that I could almost be Jewish, except the main point I cannot believe in, is that Jesus was a mere prophet. I truly believe he was that of God. (No offense to any Native Americans or whomever, I just dont beilieve on multigods)

And for your little tidbit at the end -- alot of science used to be faith Take a look at how much the Bible and Koran are PROVING to be different.

I could go on for an hour easily, descibing the scientific flaws in much of what is considered common knowledge (Like tha Colorado River, that one amazed the shit out of me the first time I saw that explained on TV!!). But I wont unless asked. Especially not on this thread. Just doesnt seem appropriate at this point.

I'm not a believer, I dont go to church, and I dont rely on a "God" for emotional support, because I have friends and family and thats all one could need. No offense anyone. As I said, I'm not a believer, but I try to live a good life. And in the end, God or not God, I think I'll be alright.

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=14;threadid=2269;start=90#43016 date=1027640058]
    I'm not a believer, I dont go to church, and I dont rely on a "God" for emotional support, because I have friends and family and thats all one could need. No offense anyone. As I said, I'm not a believer, but I try to live a good life. And in the end, God or not God, I think I'll be alright.
    [/quote]

I whole heartedly agree...

I try to live but some of the moral values that makes sense from any of the worlds religions.. like no killing, and that type of stuff but I do in no way believe in a higher power.

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=14;threadid=2269;start=90#43016 date=1027640058]
    [/quote]

This is the closest thing I have seen on here that I agree with and I don't totally agree with it. I do believe in God, but religion to me is useless... I once read a quote that said that "religion is the opiate of the masses." I love that quote. I think my dislike of religion stems from my child hood experience of Catholisism. The whole thing just seemed like a brain washing session... Stand when I tell you, kneel, stand, sit, kneel, sit, say "this" after I say "that". I struggled with this for a long time with myself, I thought because I didn't like Catholisism that ment I couldn't believe in God. Since then I have made peace with myself and said that I do believe in God, but I WILL NOT do this or that cuz of something written in a BOOK.

To me yesterdays religions are todays myths and todays religions are tomorrows myths.

Believe or don't believe but live a good life cuz you want to, be a good person because you take joy in that itself. Not because you are afraid of hell or not getting into heaven.